Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial | Boston Common | Downtown

I think most people will either like this or at least be neutral about it. For me the most important part is that, as far as I could tell, it was the least intrusive design to the current state of the common. It doesn't take away huge amounts of green area, or create terraces where there were none, or block the view of the state house in any way, shape, or form. Sometimes less is more, especially when dealing with something as cherished as the oldest city park in the entire country.

It is also probably in the best location, by the under-utilized gazebo (which already has clumsily designed walking paths) vs right in front of the state house. It will likely draw more people to that side of the park and should be a winner, especially by (present day) Boston standards.

too big p/c garbage in the wrong place.

put a normal sized statue of him on the Common, Liberty Tree site, or other place.

I actually like this and think it will add nicely to the Common. Especially if it goes between Parkman Bandstand and Tremont. That area can use an upgrade.

put a normal sized statue of him on the Common, Liberty Tree site, or other place.

Are you saying it needs your beloved 'Bostonification'? :D :D :D

Hardly PC garbage at all. It adds a modern artistic vocabulary to the Common, just as the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial does for its time. It's also not some throwaway engraved granite curb or esoteric fountain that leaks 4 months after being turned on due to shoddy construction.

How is this "p/c garbage"? So any monument that's not a traditional statue is pc?

I wager it will become one of Boston's most visited tourist destinations, and be happily embraced by a proud city.

the fact that it HAD TO BE so frigging YUGE and overwhelm the Common,

as opposed to properly edifying it.

i love the guy as much as anyone.

But, why so huge? why now? who/what are they trying to placate?

Just too big for my personal tastes vs the very limited scale of the Common.

i'll stop short of calling the massive size (pandering). but tomorrow is another day.

i'll stop short of calling the massive size (pandering). but tomorrow is another day.

Sweet baby jesus...You're certainly entitled to your thoughts, but the irony of the words you have chosen whilst you continually deride every community group, activist and bureaucrat within the city on the daily...or you're taking the piss out of all of us.

Lol nothing is ever big enough in the city and then he complains about the size of a statue/piece of art in a park. Keep doing you, conservatives, with the veiled racism.

Maybe Black guys are just bigger, dude.

Everyone quoting odurandina is really limiting the usefulness of my ignore list.

I'd like to echo Justin's sentiments...my time here has gotten a lot more peaceful since I stopped being able to see him.

final execution of the sculpture, placement, and maintenance will be everything with this, of course, but i recall many in chicago HATING "the bean" to begin with and now it's an iconic and beloved signature element of that city. it may be too much to hope for precisely the same outcome with this project, but i don't think it's entirely outside of the realm of possibility. the sculpture is pretty daring and it's scope is substantial. i say: tone down the negativity and get behind this thing.

How did I know that this would be just about the run of this thread right now?

I neither like it nor dislike it(I wasn't in love with any of the five proposals to begin with) but I do think a large scale and immersive monument beyond just a statue is completely appropriate however I will say that when the proposal upsets and unsettles the people who are exhibiting those feelings, that's a good thing. The more uncomfortable they are with the world around them, the better.

final execution of the sculpture, placement, and maintenance will be everything with this, of course, but i recall many in chicago HATING "the bean" to begin with and now it's an iconic and beloved signature element of that city. it may be too much to hope for precisely the same outcome with this project, but i don't think it's entirely outside of the realm of possibility. the sculpture is pretty daring and it's scope is substantial. i say: tone down the negativity and get behind this thing.

Chris, Kmp, Good points. (Like most) i figured this to be the only one that could win. But formed the opinion it's just too big. Maybe too reactionary a conclusion vs the extremely limited scale of the Common. Maybe it won't overwhelm it--and instead, become a beloved monument in Boston.

Back