Four Seasons Tower @ CSC | 1 Dalton Street | Back Bay

Stayed in a suite last night, nice finishes but room layout was super awkward and view was blocked by a huge TV in the middle of the curved glass. Bathroom has no privacy, just a drop down shear which was super awkward. Walked the meeting space which is way undersized for the hotel. Nice job on breakout rooms but the main ballroom blows. Hotel still feels very much under construction, bar isn’t open (except for the Japanese place on the 2nd floor). Can’t see this thing doing well long term when mandarin is priced competitively and has better location and meeting space so ultimately who stays at the hotel if there’s no real demand driver? Separately have heard they’ve only sold like 40 condos so good luck with the rest - nice view but weird location. Good luck Carpenter and Co. My $0.02.

It is a rather odd triangular shaped building primarily because of the footprint of the site. I wondered if that would be a challenge when designing the interior. I would think there would be wasted space or better said, awkward layouts because of shape. Anyone know of other triangular buildings? None come to mind.

I recall walking by there many times, well before construction, and the site just didn't seem to justify a building of that size (700'). There is no perimeter at all.

A main reason for the hotel may be to provide amenities for the condo residences. In reviewing designs for another Four Seasons residences, I came to realize the residents don't cook their own meals, or drive their own cars, and they don't order from DoorDash.

Only 40 of 160 units sold? That's going to put a damper on developers seeking to finance high end, luxe residences in Boston. Here's looking at you Mr. Fish, and Mr. Chiofaro.

40 units have closed, another 90 or so are under agreement and scheduled to close, so 30 units left, pretty impressive and certainly encouraging for other luxe developments.

Anyone know of other triangular buildings? None come to mind.
Flatiron Building, Transamerica Pyramid, Ryugyong Hotel, Dominion Building, Torre Reforma, Triangle Tower (Paris), Opal Tower (very similar profile to 1 Dalton, just shorter/fatter), Demonico's, etc etc...

Great list! Isn't Devon Tower triangular-ish??
Not able to look, as i'm in the Wasatch Natl Forest & extremely low bandwidth.

Transamerica pyramid has 4 sides. Its triangular in the opposite way that this is. This has a triangular floor plate with a flat roof, transamerica has a triangular silhouette where all 4 sides lean into a singular point at the roof.

Transamerica pyramid has 4 sides. Its triangular in the opposite way that this is. This has a triangular floor plate with a flat roof, transamerica has a triangular silhouette where all 4 sides lean into a singular point at the roof.
very good point. of the others in my list (which i think *do* qualify as truly triangular), opal tower is most like 1 dalton with respect to footprint. hopefully 1 dalton has a less dramatic early life.

Flatiron Building, Transamerica Pyramid, Ryugyong Hotel, Dominion Building, Torre Reforma, Triangle Tower (Paris), Opal Tower (very similar profile to 1 Dalton, just shorter/fatter), Demonico's, etc etc...

Can't speak to all of these, but the Transamerica Pyramid is four sided. It tapers upward so is triangular from a vertical standpoint, but the individual floor plates are square shaped. And flat irons are narrow isosceles triangles that act more like a rectangle in terms of space configuration. The 60/60/60 shape to the Four Seasons is pretty uncommon.

^Oh ok I was wondering if we just couldnt see the shades in the windows, but theyre just not there yet higher up. They add that final human touch that makes a building look lived in.

20191119_133201.jpg

i don't believe they've had 40 closings yet, if you look at mass land records it looks thinner than that. I had heard it was a total of 40 units sold (inclusive of presales / UA), hadn't heard anything about a large chunk of other units being under agreement.
55 units have closed as of last week, there are another 70 or so under agreement, probably waiting for the TCO's to move up the building.

What is the holdup with finishing the ground level?!?! It's insane how zero progress is being made. At this rate we're going to have another winter with no sidewalk on that side again.

What is the holdup with finishing the ground level?!?! It's insane how zero progress is being made. At this rate we're going to have another winter with no sidewalk on that side again.

They did open the mini parklet area across the street. Slow but steady.... but slow.

They did open the mini parklet area across the street. Slow but steady.... but slow.

True, but it's been weeeeeeks without any progress on the exterior of the building. You'd think they'd want to be done.

55 units have closed as of last week, there are another 70 or so under agreement, probably waiting for the TCO's to move up the building.

They've closed a couple of units on upper floors but for the most part the closings to date have been in the 20s, 30s and low 40s.

As of today:

57 sales
$291m in volume
$2,415/psf average

They've closed a couple of units on upper floors but for the most part the closings to date have been in the 20s, 30s and low 40s.

As of today:

57 sales
$291m in volume
$2,415/psf average
Thanks for the update, amazing sales numbers! That average will probably go over $3000/sf once they close the top 20 floors.

it's really a gorgeous tower. i wish they'd have incorporated some subtle (non-intrustive/sleep disrupting) lighting going up the vertical grooves. missed opportunity.

Back