100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: New residential mid-tower set for Pier 4

Wow. A project slated for office turning to residential in the Seaport.
I think I heard Sicilian fall out of his chair.

Yes, this makes me quite happy.

If I were to complain it would be that it's apartments, not owner occupied.

But I'm not complaining.

Please, lord, do not let this be a beige cube.

Article also mentions that where Anthony's Pier 4 is now is slated to become a park (at a later phase). I'm not denying that should be a nice spot, but this area will be so oversaturated with underutilized and undevelopable parks. Even at full build-out, will there be urban continuity? Liberty Wharf and the ICA both teach that you can develop right up to the waterfront and still maintain a very vibrant public space along the water's edge.

If there was a thread for this it's lost to time so let's start anew!

If it looks like it does in the renderings i will be happy. I'll take that glass over precast. I agree that the building should go more up to water and less on the park, but that's ok, ill go sit there and watch planes land.

one requisite for all waterfront residental is the sawtoothed balcony...hope they keep em in the actual design

If the 21 floors is accurate, then it would be the glass box behind the ICA in the nedevelopment rendering? If the 21 should really have been an 11, then it could be the building to the side of the ICA, although that looks to be too small for 350+ apartments. So my guess its the mass of buildings with layered heights to the southeast of the ICA in the North East Development rendering.

Wow, I love this!

I love that they've even considered public toilets in one of the buildings. This seems like it will be a really great development if it goes through like this.

Also ^^ there are floorplans on the last page. The building in front of the ICA is now zoned as Office/Retail. In the Fan Pier video, it was zoned as Hotel.

The 21-story tower in question appears to be the tallish glass box in the background. The entire development consists of three buildings, stepping up in height from the waterfront.

302037487.jpg

Please, lord, do not let this be a beige cube.

Article also mentions that where Anthony's Pier 4 is now is slated to become a park (at a later phase). I'm not denying that should be a nice spot, but this area will be so oversaturated with underutilized and undevelopable parks. Even at full build-out, will there be urban continuity? Liberty Wharf and the ICA both teach that you can develop right up to the waterfront and still maintain a very vibrant public space along the water's edge.

I don't know that ICA has taught us that yet, but I see your point. Personally, I don't think parks are ever a bad thing if they have some feature that makes them a destination. Football fields of grass are pointless, but if we can't have great architecture, this is a terrific spot for an iconic, big-ass sculpture-cum-fountain.

Apparently these renderings are old. Office is being switched to residential.

Non-Pier 4 Tower highlighted.
wtsnpu.png

16k8dmv.png

The residential building was the long one closest to the water and part of the hotel building.

Last edited:

Yes, but the article claims that they are making a switch from office to retail, leading me to believe it's the left-most floorplan on the bottom image ^ . Of course, I say this with no certainty - but it would be more "towerish" than the low(er)-rise one you highlighted.

(Not that anyone should deduce the Boston press's use of the word "tower" to mean anything, however...)

Yes, but the article claims that they are making a switch from office to retail, leading me to believe it's the left-most floorplan on the bottom image ^ . Of course, I say this with no certainty - but it would be more "towerish" than the low(er)-rise one you highlighted.

(Not that anyone should deduce the Boston press's use of the word "tower" to mean anything, however...)

Ah, I missed the part where they mentioned the changing of the plans. Sorry. Thank you for the correction.

Slightly different topic: street names, UGH. East Servive Road Extension. Pier 4 Boulevard. Promenade Street. And elsewhere we have Marina Park Drive, Harborview Drive... these street names belong in Palm Beach, not Boston. Ideally I would have loved to see the South Boston letter/number grid somehow continue up here.

So this means 2 res buildings! Amazing!

Last edited:

So does Anthony's close up this location for good, or do they move into one of the new places? If I recall correctly, they have a Swampscott waterfront location as well.

Back