1075 Mass. Ave. | Harvard Square | Cambridge

bolehboleh

Reaction score
This may have been answered in some other threads, but I'm unable to find it.

Currently on Mass Ave, near where Putnam Ave and Mt. Auburn streets all come together there is some sort of construction going on and I have not idea what it is. It seems like an exceedingly long time to just dig the foundation, but I'm not an architect or construction worker. What I really want to know is, what are they building there? I can't find anything about it online and it doesn't say anything about it on the actual site.

Does anyone know?

78 views and nobody knows. I guess I'm not the only one who has no idea ;)

Welcome, Boleh. I think that for some reason this development hasn't been too closely followed here, for whatever reason. Here's a mention from the Cambridge thread:

http://www.archboston.com/community/showpost.php?p=126285&postcount=720

1075 Mass. Ave. (Bowl and Board site) will be a 5 story glass box, with retail on the first floor and 20 condos above. There was to be a small green roof element (2010 drawings), but that's probably been VE'd out. I have some renderings around, but nothing that I'm sure is current.

Thanks for the help. I can't understand why it hasn't been publicized more. Maybe that's because pro-union protesters are there every morning and they don't want the publicity.

What is causing the labor dispute, and is it delaying the development?

You think it has anything to do with the union protesters outside it everyday?

I don't understand your reply to my question. What is the dispute all about?

I don't understand your reply to my question. What is the dispute all about?

I was just answering your question with a question because I don't know.

On a side note, I walked by this morning and it looks like the frame is finally being put up. I saw at least 15-20 union protesters outside of the project.

Only thread I could find that made sense for a few trends in the square.

Cambridge Votes Down Proposed Winthrop Square Development
For the third time this year, Cambridge developer Raj Dhanda and his proposal to build three stories of residential microunits on top of the existing Galeria building in Winthrop Square failed to earn the support of the Cambridge Historical Commission.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/4/4/harvard-square-winthrop-park-renovation-proposal/

and
Billionaire buying into Harvard Square
Over the course of 18 months — and without calling attention to himself — billionaire businessman Gerald L. Chan spent about $120 million to amass an impressive portfolio of Harvard Square real estate that includes nearly a dozen properties. Together, they give Chan — a Harvard University graduate and Newton resident — enough clout to influence the square’s look and character for years to come
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...re-property/M0ej07PLaW9Y46LwtnU8vM/story.html

^ Associated graphic showing Gerald Chan's properties:

5pgj.jpg

Also, the Staples building in Harvard Sq probably won't get an addition.

Proposed Three-Story Addition to 57 JFK Met With Concern

March 7, 2014

Cambridge developer Raj Dhanda appeared before the Cambridge Historical Commission Thursday night to submit revised plans for three stories of residential units to be built on top of his current Galeria building at 57 JFK St. Citing citizens’ concerns that ranged from architecture to lighting, the commission requested that Dhanda re-submit his proposal April 4.

The proposed addition to the Galeria building at the corner of JFK and Winthrop streets, which currently houses retail stores and restaurants including Staples, Maharaja, and Shake Shack, would accommodate around 40 micro-units of residential housing. Each unit would span about 450 square feet, according to Dhanda.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/3/7/57-jfk-apartments-concerns-lighting/

210809_1295448.jpg.800x533_q95_crop-smart_upscale.jpg

Harvard Square Developer Sets off Opposition Over Historic Park

April 2, 2014

But this year, a new proposal from developer Raj Dhanda to build a three-story addition on the 57 JFK St. building next door has brought renewed attention—and controversy—to the park.

On Thursday, Dhanda will go before the Cambridge Historical Commission for the third time to submit revised plans of his proposal to add three stories of residential micro-units to the existing Galeria building, which sits adjacent to Winthrop Park and currently houses businesses including Staples, Yogurtland, and Shake Shack.

However, Katherine D. Dukakis—the Cambridge-born wife of former Governor Michael S. Dukakis—worries that the proposal will have a negative impact on the park. She first became involved with the park as a member of the Public Space Partnerships, which helped rehabilitate the space after it had fallen into disrepair in the 1980s.

“It was just awful before and there’s a real difference and we just don’t want to see that program destroy the park with no light because there’ll be shadows and no air,” Dukakis said.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2014/4/2/harvard-square-developer-sets/

Winthrop Square dates to the founding of Cambridge in the 1630s, so I can't fault wanting to give special design attention to any development proposals that front on it.

Winthrop Square dates to the founding of Cambridge in the 1630s, so I can't fault wanting to give special design attention to any development proposals that front on it.

The thing is, its not a very wide parcel, and IIRC the new development is only going to be as tall as the garage next door. So the shadows will increase by maybe a foot or two, on one day a year. That park is dark as hell anyway, which in the summer is GOOD.

This project is a win. That building is fugly as hell, and the new addition is going to give the entire facade a reworking. This is really NIMBYism gone awry.

Have you seen how the proposal will sit on this property? Because I'm having trouble seeing "not a very wide parcel" and "shadows will increase by maybe a foot or two, on one day a year" unless they only plan to build on the half next to the garage.

yx5l.jpg

The thing is, its not a very wide parcel, and IIRC the new development is only going to be as tall as the garage next door. So the shadows will increase by maybe a foot or two, on one day a year. That park is dark as hell anyway, which in the summer is GOOD.

This project is a win. That building is fugly as hell, and the new addition is going to give the entire facade a reworking. This is really NIMBYism gone awry.

It's the usual Henny Penny sky-is-falling/civilization-will-end-if-this-is-built hysteria. Micro units would be perfect here.

The Galeria as is is one of the more lively and animated buildings in the square. It's got big windows showing lots of inside activity and is a great blank slate for colorful signs and graphic elements. Like any building it needs to be maintained and shown some love. The inside main stairway is definitely in need of an upgrade.

Back