121 Seaport Boulevard | Parcel L2 | Seaport Square

Odd.. I was fairly sure that WS was already the original developer over that space and came up with the original design. There was nothing to "take over."

Seaport Square has changed hands several times. Frank and Jamie McCourt were the first, back when this was still considered a future stadium site. Their divorce catalyzed Seaport Square, because it forced them to sell to Hynes. Hynes basically laid out the master plan as we know it but was distracted by its troubled co-development with Vornado at Filene's Basement (back before anyone knew what Millennium was). They ultimately sold out to Boston Global Investors, which I think may still have a financial interest. BGI got through the first few buildings (including the two parcels on either side of this park, which were actually built by Skanska after the sites were sold off) and then either brought WS into the picture or sold off to them entirely. BGI did retain the development interest in what we now know as 10 World Trade.

The Seaport Square thread itself is 16 years old and includes all of this history: https://archboston.com/community/threads/seaport-square-formerly-mccourt-seaport-parcels.1282/

Last edited:
James Corner Field Operations was hired by WS in 2017.

Here's a couple of images from the 2017 NPC.

peFAQ02.jpg

Y5vNjfq.jpg

It's supposed to look more or less like the image above from one end to the other to provide a continuous experience, and to do that they would have to alter the 121 park.

Seaport Square has changed hands several times. Frank and Jamie McCourt were the first, back when this was still considered a future stadium site. Their divorce catalyzed Seaport Square, because it forced them to sell to Hynes (of South Station Tower fame). Hynes basically laid out the master plan as we know it but was distracted by its troubled co-development with Vornado at Filene's Basement (back before anyone knew what Millennium was). They ultimately sold out to Boston Global Investors, which I think may still have a financial interest. BGI got through the first few buildings (including the two parcels on either side of this park, which were actually built by Skanska after the sites were sold off) and then either brought WS into the picture or sold off to them entirely. BGI did retain the development interest in what we now know as 10 World Trade.

The Seaport Square thread itself is 16 years old and includes all of this history: https://archboston.com/community/threads/seaport-square-formerly-mccourt-seaport-parcels.1282/

You are mixing up your Hy(i)neses. Hines founded by Gerald Hines out of Houston, Texas is the developer of South Station Tower. Boston Global Investors, led by John Hynes III out of Boston was the original developer of Seaport Square and is currently developing 10 World Trade Center.

The design of the seaport sq courtyard has changed a couple times since 121 seaport was built so it makes perfect sense that they want it to align with the design that ended up being built.

Get a sneak peek inside F1 Arcade’s first U.S. location, set to open soon​

1713478441726.jpeg

1713478453729.jpeg

1713478468078.jpeg

1713478478253.jpeg

1713478491843.jpeg

“If you’re a Formula 1 fan who has always wanted to feel the thrill of racing against Lewis Hamilton, or just looking for a competitive outing to challenge your friends, a new venue in the Seaport might be up your alley.

F1 Arcade is opening its first U.S. location in Boston’s Seaport on Monday, April 22. The 16,000-square-feet space is located at 87 Pier 4 Boulevard. The space will be home to 69 full-motion simulators that let drivers take on tracks around the world, from Silverstone to Spa.

The arcade isn’t all about driving — it also features a 37-foot long bar where visitors can order drinks and food, including a seafood tower, tacos, flatbreads and wagyu beef sliders.

Jon Gardner, U.S. president of F1 Arcade, said they want the arcade to be a place that rookies and experts alike can enjoy.

Those not interested in racing themselves can come in for the arcade’s food, drinks and DJs, Gardner said. The arcade will also host watch party events for Formula 1 races, starting with the upcoming Miami Grand Prix on May 5.

The simulators are designed to accommodate different levels of experience, with five different settings that range from rookie to pro. Gardner said the space is kid-friendly during the day and 21+ after 7 p.m…”

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...vCtOkn8eED30bwEkfJF0v8OgP7neHP0vUFGKYN8hZvOtI

1713478593772.jpeg

1713478635284.png

1713478800426.jpeg

1713478822355.jpeg

https://www.bostonseaport.xyz/venue/f1-arcade/

Get a sneak peek inside F1 Arcade’s first U.S. location, set to open soon​

View attachment 49756
View attachment 49757
View attachment 49758
View attachment 49759
View attachment 49760

“If you’re a Formula 1 fan who has always wanted to feel the thrill of racing against Lewis Hamilton, or just looking for a competitive outing to challenge your friends, a new venue in the Seaport might be up your alley.

F1 Arcade is opening its first U.S. location in Boston’s Seaport on Monday, April 22. The 16,000-square-feet space is located at 87 Pier 4 Boulevard. The space will be home to 69 full-motion simulators that let drivers take on tracks around the world, from Silverstone to Spa.

The arcade isn’t all about driving — it also features a 37-foot long bar where visitors can order drinks and food, including a seafood tower, tacos, flatbreads and wagyu beef sliders.

Jon Gardner, U.S. president of F1 Arcade, said they want the arcade to be a place that rookies and experts alike can enjoy.

Those not interested in racing themselves can come in for the arcade’s food, drinks and DJs, Gardner said. The arcade will also host watch party events for Formula 1 races, starting with the upcoming Miami Grand Prix on May 5.

The simulators are designed to accommodate different levels of experience, with five different settings that range from rookie to pro. Gardner said the space is kid-friendly during the day and 21+ after 7 p.m…”

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...vCtOkn8eED30bwEkfJF0v8OgP7neHP0vUFGKYN8hZvOtI

View attachment 49761
View attachment 49762
View attachment 49763
View attachment 49764

https://www.bostonseaport.xyz/venue/f1-arcade/

A video game arcade that promotes drinking and driving? Really smacks the ‘innovative’ in Innovation District.

A video game arcade that promotes drinking and driving? Really smacks the ‘innovative’ in Innovation District.
That's kind of 1+1=3, in my opinion. Any barcade with a driving game would fall under that.

I am, sadly, going to have to try this out. Maybe early on a weekday so it's not crowded. I just wish F1 had more tracks that were actually fun to drive - Red Bull Ring, Spa, and Suzuka, I guess Imola and Monza, then the drop off is quick after that.

I used to be a huge F1 fan, so it'll be great to check out as something different in the city. I'm also intrigued by the watch parties that are mentioned in the article. It's one thing for the US/Canada/Mexico races, but are they going to be open and serving at 7AM for the Euro races?

That's kind of 1+1=3, in my opinion. Any barcade with a driving game would fall under that.

I am, sadly, going to have to try this out. Maybe early on a weekday so it's not crowded. I just wish F1 had more tracks that were actually fun to drive - Red Bull Ring, Spa, and Suzuka, I guess Imola and Monza, then the drop off is quick after that.
I was just being fresh. Motion simulators are objectively cool and by their nature safer than doing the real activity--I think I actually used one of the F1 simulators at the Petersen Automotive Museum several years ago. Was definitely a step above from the run of the mill "Cruisin' World" arcade games.

Back