SAV-MOR Site Lab Building | 15 McGrath Highway | Somerville

I'm not sure there's much that can realistically be done to enclose McGrath there. The shopping plaza is backed up against the McGrath bridge spanning a huge rail junction. I don't know if the demand for that real estate would justify the huge cost of decking. It's similar to ABP over the Fitchburg line in Cambridge.

Also, residents of the area will probably raise hell if a replacement does not contain a proper grocery store.
I don't see where decking the rail line(s) would be necessary. The Star Market Plaza is a huge parcel that would be viable in and of itself for development. A supermarket for East Cambridge could be included in the new development,

I'm not sure there's much that can realistically be done to enclose McGrath there. The shopping plaza is backed up against the McGrath bridge spanning a huge rail junction. I don't know if the demand for that real estate would justify the huge cost of decking. It's similar to ABP over the Fitchburg line in Cambridge.

Also, residents of the area will probably raise hell if a replacement does not contain a proper grocery store.

The decking is less important than pushing the street wall for the parcel right up to the property line, rather than putting a loading dock there.

The neighbors would probably throw fits about density, and the Brickbottom folks would yell about shadows.

I don't see where decking the rail line(s) would be necessary. The Star Market Plaza is a huge parcel that would be viable in and of itself for development. A supermarket for East Cambridge could be included in the new development,

twin city plaza is always packed - no tenant vacancies, a bunch of busy retailers, a gym, dentist, sports therapists, and constantly busy shaw's. it may not be much to look at, but this thing is no-doubt profitable and provides a bunch of necessary services to the area. Is all this talk pure speculation and "design a better boston"-type daydreaming, or has anyone actually heard of or read any proposals to redevelop that parcel?

twin city plaza is always packed - no tenant vacancies, a bunch of busy retailers, a gym, dentist, sports therapists, and constantly busy shaw's. it may not be much to look at, but this thing is no-doubt profitable and provides a bunch of necessary services to the area. Is all this talk pure speculation and "design a better boston"-type daydreaming, or has anyone actually heard of or read any proposals to redevelop that parcel?
I remember when the old factories were torn down and the Twin City Plaza was built there around the early 1960's. East Cambridge is a much different place now, and I could see something more urban and upscale going in there eventually.

Along with the sign, I think someday I’ll miss being the only pedestrian brave enough to walk across the bridge and this barren stretch of McGrath.

6F5D862D-1BF5-4F41-BBE6-70B205142ADF.jpeg

Based on the location of the median divider guardrails shown in the render, it looks like Mattress World will also be acquired for this project.

I used to wheel my toddler in a stroller down it twice a day, as he was in daycare near MGH and I lived up in Somerville. I can still tell you where all the holes in the sidewalk where I would have to lift the stroller are (because they haven't fixed any of them in the intervening years).

By far the worst part of the walk is the Superior Nut Company loading dock. I had to roll the stroller out two lanes into traffic to get around trucks parked there, and they almost ran me and the kid over more than once.

E: I'm fairly certain I was one of the only people commuting up the flight of stairs at Linwood and Somerville Ext near brickbottom. Lifting the stroller up that flight of steps wasn't easy, especially when I was making the first set of footprints in the snow that day.

E E: Does the sidwalk on the bridge still flood? It used to fill with inches of slushy water and I would cross it by clinging to the fence like those enemies in super mario world:

1642445678534.png

Last edited:
@erom: yes the sidewalk on the bridge still floods - confirmed that just today, in fact! Even better is that 2 segments of the sidewalk railings right before the bridge starts are completely out (about 25 ft above the ground). In place are some dinky temporary stanchions. Great stuff.

I’m expecting pieces of the bridge to fall on the rail lines and shut down the Fitchburg and GLX for a spell just after it opens.
Why doesn't MassDOT keep up the maintenance of this bridge and sidewalk? It's not slated for replacement that I know of, and even if it is, it still has to be maintained.

i'd love to hear an official response to your question. that stretch is unpleasant and unsafe and looks like post-war Berlin.

I used to wheel my toddler in a stroller down it twice a day, as he was in daycare near MGH and I lived up in Somerville. I can still tell you where all the holes in the sidewalk where I would have to lift the stroller are (because they haven't fixed any of them in the intervening years).

By far the worst part of the walk is the Superior Nut Company loading dock. I had to roll the stroller out two lanes into traffic to get around trucks parked there, and they almost ran me and the kid over more than once.

E: I'm fairly certain I was one of the only people commuting up the flight of stairs at Linwood and Somerville Ext near brickbottom. Lifting the stroller up that flight of steps wasn't easy, especially when I was making the first set of footprints in the snow that day.

E E: Does the sidwalk on the bridge still flood? It used to fill with inches of slushy water and I would cross it by clinging to the fence like those enemies in super mario world:

View attachment 20494
Did pretty much the same thing last year. Had to switch the kid to a backpack as it was just easier (no curb cuts etc.) was always amazed at the amount of garbage thrown down the bank near brickbottom. real developing world conditions. an absolute mess

Back