Eli Lilly IGM | 15 Necco Street | Fort Point

At least one positive with this change: "Singular curtain wall envelope replaced with masonry base in response to mhp and 100 acres design guidelines"

I think this building will do okay once its part of a neighborhood. By itself, I'm still not a fan of the lack of continuity between the base and the top.

What's weird about that is that Parcel N and Parcel P will demonstrate how effective it can be to maintain a contextual podium concept all the way up on a building of this height, only a few blocks away from this site.

Why does this design need a tower/podium approach at all?

This reminds me a lot of 88 Seaport Boulevard, except less flattering treatments and proportions.

Dude, you beat me to it! I thought 15 Necco looked vaguely familiar (which I like very much) and then it hit me, 88 Seaport, which I hadn't thought much o,
of it until today's thread posted by you earlier, ccole!

Haven't we learned anything in 4 decades here in Boston that you can overuse the red brick/ terra cotta theme in taller quasi-modern structures? The previous design was much better!

The 3rd grade art project is a nice touch.

Is there something about the stately middle-low height industrial motif and warmly claustrophobic environs of Necco Ct. that compels one to conclude: "Naah! Let's graft the head of a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot on the top of this here fucker!"

Each successive render looks like the robot's taken more headshots and is about to launch the uppermost 8 floors on a giant spring while the victor get crowned. :oops:

This is another example of overuse of the terracotta/red palette to appease "Boston" sensibilities. (Like my comment on the latest rev of Dock Square.) Many of the previous versions were more appropriate, less garish. It is the Transportation Building mistake being repeated over and over again in this city.

This is another example of overuse of the terracotta/red palette to appease "Boston" sensibilities. (Like my comment on the latest rev of Dock Square.) Many of the previous versions were more appropriate, less garish. It is the Transportation Building mistake being repeated over and over again in this city.

Would we like the Transportation Building better if it were made of concrete? It's completely anonymous. That's a good thing.

The more I look at this the more I become a fan. It is, pardon the pun, balancing lots of styles and concepts. It both an eye catcher and a building that blends in. It is stoic and dynamic at the same time. It plays with contemporary trends and the vernacular of the area. I mean obviously we will have to see if when built it looks like the renderings, but I am actually really excited by the playfulness in this building and the way it will define the area around it.

It looks like the architects watched too many video games growing up.

Ok boomer

(Sorry, couldn't help myself) But in all seriousness, I wouldn't be too worried - I haven't seen anything like this particular design proposed elsewhere (but if someone knows of an existing project like it, please enlighten), and I believe this project has been intended to be a visual focus point since it was initially conceived as GE's HQ. As long as as the materials used are high quality, this will be a win.

Not a fan of this weirdly shaped top heavy look. It looks like the architects watched too many video games growing up. This particular awkward architectural fad will hopefully wear out its welcome soon and not show up anymore.

IMO the Sandcrawler look was better. I still think it looks okay.

Ok boomer

(Sorry, couldn't help myself) But in all seriousness, I wouldn't be too worried - I haven't seen anything like this particular design proposed elsewhere (but if someone knows of an existing project like it, please enlighten), and I believe this project has been intended to be a visual focus point since it was initially conceived as GE's HQ. As long as as the materials used are high quality, this will be a win.

It vaguely reminds me of Zaha Hadid's Port House project in Antwerp.
zaha-hadid-architects-fabrice-fouillet-port-house.jpg

Back