The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Unanimous support from the Planning Board!

For a project of this size, it really feels like it's cruised through the rezoning, historic preservation and planning process. A good example of how the planning process can and should work. It's also a testament to the diligence and dedication of the Redfern team to make this project happen.

Does it have any other city hurdles to clear?

I'm sure there are still permits and other paperwork to file, but I think they've now got all the approvals they need from the city to move forward. There are conditions to come back to both the Planning Board and Historic Preservation with updates on the design of the pocket park as the development progresses.

Perhaps we should have a little ArchBoston meetup at the August groundbreaking!

Now that the project has completed the planning board process, I would think that there would be a bunch of renderings available for public viewing besides the few we've seen. Catherine, can you tease us with some new views of the entire tower? And Max, I'm down with the August groundbreaking!

Last edited:
Great news. I think the respect is there for Redfern, along with the city facing increased pressure to find more revenue. Of course, it always is, but the recent reduction in monies for schools stings a bit. Additionally, taller buildings can enhance a city's vibe if designed well and usage enhances the area. This building will bring an increased pedestrian vibe to the area during the colder months. The city is thinking broader now.

Nice segment on WGME 13 news this evening about the planning board approval of 200 Federal Street. A few new street level renderings were shown.

Happy to hear about the approval today. The ground breaking or ribbon cutting ceremonies would be nice opportunities for an Arch Boston meet up.

For lack of skyline renderings, here's a quick photoshop job for fun. Perspective is obviously off. Tried to make it five stories taller than One City Center.
Wide Portland Skyline and Shrubs by Corey Templeton, on Flickr

Hopefully in a couple of years you'll be able to replicate another skyline shot from the same location to see how accurate today's photoshop effort is to the actual tower Corey!

200Federal_V3_C009_051.jpg

That rendering doesn't represent the current thinking on the benches, though - the benches around the trees are reconfigured, the wall is shortened, and there is a bench directly in front of the water feature (the impetus for this was apparently concern over splashing). The design of the park is one of the things that's gonna linger for awhile.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 8.16.15 AM.png

That rendering doesn't represent the current thinking on the benches, though - the benches around the trees are reconfigured, the wall is shortened, and there is a bench directly in front of the water feature (the impetus for this was apparently concern over splashing). The design of the park is one of the things that's gonna linger for awhile.

View attachment 13384
Yes this one is going to take a while. Designing this feels more difficult and more important almost than the actual tower! We have all been in poorly designed public spaces and we really want this one to be successful. This space will be more actively used by the public and will have more of a collective conscience so we need to get it right. Need time to figure out materials, lighting, the water wall, seasonality and safety. Plus we aren't building it for a while so why rush it. Luckily the city agreed and I thought it was a great idea to make the final design a condition of the CO so we could still get approval without forcing the design. ~C

Great news. I think the respect is there for Redfern, along with the city facing increased pressure to find more revenue. Of course, it always is, but the recent reduction in monies for schools stings a bit. Additionally, taller buildings can enhance a city's vibe if designed well and usage enhances the area. This building will bring an increased pedestrian vibe to the area during the colder months. The city is thinking broader now.
Thank you! ~ C

Now that the project has completed the planning board process, I would think that there would be a bunch of renderings available for public viewing besides the few we've seen. Catherine, can you tease us with some new views of the entire tower? And Max, I'm down with the August groundbreaking!
I will try to get my hands on some renderings but that has honestly fallen right off the to do list. Right now it is all hands on deck to get a set of drawings finalized for construction, still working on pricing, and building permit. MEP is still evolving as you all can imagine. Working on earthwork and foundation permit first while we go through the permitting process. We are pushing very hard right now! Send some good vibes to poor Ryan Senatore! lol! I'll keep you guys posted on groundbreaking date! ~C

CONSTRUCTION CAMERA: It has been discussed. I think it would be awesome. What we were trying to figure out is where it would be?? Let us know if you have any ideas! ~C

The best position for your construction camera in my opinion would be on the roof of One Portland Square. This location has the height and would provide a full frontal view during the entire construction process. One Canal Plaza would be the alternate choice and One City Center is just too close and not the best angle. The Masonic Temple roof would work for the back side views but wouldn't provide as much interest until 200 Federal reaches the 5th floor.

I will try to get my hands on some renderings but that has honestly fallen right off the to do list. Right now it is all hands on deck to get a set of drawings finalized for construction, still working on pricing, and building permit. MEP is still evolving as you all can imagine. Working on earthwork and foundation permit first while we go through the permitting process. We are pushing very hard right now! Send some good vibes to poor Ryan Senatore! lol! I'll keep you guys posted on groundbreaking date! ~C
Great to hear. I was under the impression the City did away with foundation permits a few years ago -- are you sure they will let you guys go that route? Also, isn't there like a peformance guarantee or something related to site work that could gum things up if the park isn't fully designed before the initial building permit (because you won't know what to "guarantee")? Or was that waived here? Wishing you all the best!

Great to hear. I was under the impression the City did away with foundation permits a few years ago -- are you sure they will let you guys go that route? Also, isn't there like a peformance guarantee or something related to site work that could gum things up if the park isn't fully designed before the initial building permit (because you won't know what to "guarantee")? Or was that waived here? Wishing you all the best!
We have been working closely with the city and they have indicated a willingness to move forward in this way but (knock on wood) things can change. Always a performance guarantee - absolutely no way they would ever waive that - nor should they frankly. What they did was tie the park design not to the permit but the Certificate of Occupancy - which I thought was a clever idea. So if park isn't done - we don't get an Occupancy permit - and they know how hard everyone pushes for occupancy so motivation to have it done is strong. We will go back to City Staff - possible either board if they want - for final approval of the park design.

Any updates?
Hi, we are working diligently to get in the ground in August. We expect to close financing in the coming weeks and have applied for Demolition, Foundation, and Building Permits from the City. Landry French is doing a great job finalizing constructions plans and budgets. There is still a lot of work to do, but we are getting very close!

Hi, we are working diligently to get in the ground in August. We expect to close financing in the coming weeks and have applied for Demolition, Foundation, and Building Permits from the City. Landry French is doing a great job finalizing constructions plans and budgets. There is still a lot of work to do, but we are getting very close!
Beautiful! So excited!

Back