The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

I would like to see some color illumination of the building at night, add some vibe to that section of town. Possibly the top section of the building. Otherwise, great revamped design...

It's actually Catherine posting here....but I am with you! I will keep you informed!

I’ve always loved the way the original Hancock tower’s lighting scheme was reflective of the weather forecast; and how the scheme of the Empire State Building relates to national holidays or the “subway series” if the local teams make the playoffs. Both lighting schemes are tasteful and relevant and garner attention without trying too hard or looking like Times Square or Vegas, desperate for attention. 😄

I also love the new design and materials. Brick is the right way to go. Everything about this is contemporary while fitting in with the current landscape of Portland. This design looks like something we may see in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I may have been the one to compare it to One Portland Square - hehe whoops. I worked in that building for many years. It definitely has that 90's look, whereas your new design is fairly timeless. Perhaps make all of the ground floor window trim black? Other than that - this is perfect. I do like some of the comments about the roof though. Thanks for sharing!

I’ve always loved the way the original Hancock tower’s lighting scheme was reflective of the weather forecast; and how the scheme of the Empire State Building relates to national holidays or the “subway series” if the local teams make the playoffs. Both lighting schemes are tasteful and relevant and garner attention without trying too hard or looking like Times Square or Vegas, desperate for attention. 😄
building-roof-illuminated-construction-preview.jpg

Although I realize the Federal Street Tower Design at the top floor is significantly different than this design, something similar to this would be impressive from 295. Overall I like the latest design much better.

Love the sports team idea - especially since we are working on bringing a USL Soccer team to Portland! (wait until you guys see that plan - really cool in terms of urban landscape!)

I also love the new design and materials. Brick is the right way to go. Everything about this is contemporary while fitting in with the current landscape of Portland. This design looks like something we may see in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I may have been the one to compare it to One Portland Square - hehe whoops. I worked in that building for many years. It definitely has that 90's look, whereas your new design is fairly timeless. Perhaps make all of the ground floor window trim black? Other than that - this is perfect. I do like some of the comments about the roof though. Thanks for sharing!
Don't hold back! We appreciate the honest feedback and it helped drive the evolution of the plan.

Hopefully the rooftop will become a financial bonus for you. The height should open up possibilities for telecommunication equipment, local news cameras, beacon lighting and other associated lease opportunities.

Last edited:
Here are my lighting challenges we need to work through: Dark Sky Ordinance, Historic District, FAA Flight Pattern, Light pollution into someone's bedroom....lots to think about. But definitely LED so we can program color schemes.

Very much for the lighting feature! Anyone know how (or where) Portland defines "architectural or aesthetic element" in 12.53.a of the site lighting technical manual?

City_Hall_Plaza.jpg

City Hall Plaza in Manchester, the tallest building in northern New England. Though it has 20 floors and is 75' taller, I see some similarities with the 200 Federal Street design especially if the top floor and pitched roof were removed. I think the proposed window treatments and brick detailing of 200 Federal Street will give it's facade a more interesting appearance. City Hall Plaza must have 12' floors (bottom four are enclosed parking) in order to achieve a height of 275' and the rooftop probably contributes 25' towards the total. Also visible to the left is the 1978 modern addition to the 10 story Amoskeag Bank Building (131') which was Manchester's tallest until the 12 story Carpenter Hotel (148') was completed around 1920.

Last edited:
Don't hold back! We appreciate the honest feedback and it helped drive the evolution of the plan.
Will do - I remember emailing you when you built on Brackett Street. The in-fill in Portland is so important and Redfern does a great job. I love the updates and the lighting ideas others have proposed for the top. This will fit right into downtown.

Reading back I’m interested in the soccer stadium she mentioned and the urban landscape comment . No way on peninsula right? Unless bayside but can’t imagine that land being used for that

Reading back I’m interested in the soccer stadium she mentioned and the urban landscape comment . No way on peninsula right? Unless bayside but can’t imagine that land being used for that

I feel like a lot of people are dramatically over-imagining what a proposed Portland soccer stadium would be. We aren't building Wembley Stadium, it will probably end up being something closer to a turf field with some bleachers.

I was thinking it would be a renovated Fitzpatrick Stadium do to it's close proximity to USM.

I feel like a lot of people are dramatically over-imagining what a proposed Portland soccer stadium would be. We aren't building Wembley Stadium, it will probably end up being something closer to a turf field with some bleachers.

not expecting anything crazy but it’s a very popular urban sport . If Boston e Er gets the Revs into the city it will be so much different

if Thompson’s point concedes concerts to rock row maybe there? Have the field as rink during winter

I was thinking it would be a renovated Fitzpatrick Stadium do to it's close proximity to USM.
Fitzpatrick gets a ton of use at the high school level as it is, though, and if they make any substantial improvements to it then it's possible that either the same would have to be done to Memorial Field or Deering would switch to using Fitzpatrick much as they do Hadlock (legally, Deering High has to be kept at the same level as Portland).

I am thinking a 10-13k stadium, similar to Dillon stadium in Hartford, CT. Guessing Fitzpatrick stadium. I do love the style of Providence Park in Portland, Oregon, but is a an historical landmark. Also has a larger capacity as it is home to the MLS Portland Timbers.

Should we start a new post to cover the potential soccer stadium project?
I'd say, wait until there's a firm proposal. Otherwise we might wind up with something like the Boston soccer stadium thread ;) .
But, your point is well taken that this isn't the place.

I'd say, wait until there's a firm proposal. Otherwise we might wind up with something like the Boston soccer stadium thread ;) .
But, your point is well taken that this isn't the place.
I agree. Not the place for Soccer Stadium talk.

Back