The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Capture.PNG

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the congress street project at the old press herald printing building site. We could see a real dramatic change in the skyline. I just think what Portland would look like if all the failed projects were built. Lincoln Square, building next to court house, the expansion on 465 congress street. Midtown project, 2 residential high rises on Cumberland Avenue. I can only imagine.....😥

PWMFlyer, I feel your pain but you have to let it go and embrace the future. :) Downtown Portland has been a passion of mine for over 50 years and I've learned to appreciate what our amazing city of 68,000 has to offer especially when compared to larger urban centers. Was fortunate to experience Portland's high rise building boom first hand which began in 1969 and basically ended in 1989. During that two decade period, our skyline changed dramatically with the addition of Franklin Towers, One Monument Square, Holiday Inn, One Canal Plaza, 511 Congress Street, Two Monument Square, One City Center, One Portland Square and Back Bay Tower. Let's hope that 200 Federal Street becomes a reality as it will add a new dimension to the skyline and might be a catalyst for high rise development on the land to the east of City Hall as you have previously mentioned. I am very encouraged by all of the new projects that have continued to proceed during the pandemic which should give Portland optimism for when the country hopefully returns to a normal way of life.

Last edited:
Nice to see that most of the comments concerning the project are favorable with no whining about the building's height. Randy Billings (excellent article overall) should have added that Redfern has secured spaces for resident parking in the Chestnut Street garage which would have eliminated the usual "where will everyone park" complaints. Personally, I would have changed the article's headline to "Proposal for MAINE'S tallest building clears hurdle" but that just me! Was also nice to hear that Tim Soley is still tinkering with his plans for an even taller structure next to One Canal Plaza which gives hope that another tower may be added to the skyline in the future.

Last edited:
I grabbed a few screen shots from Redfern's presentation to the Planning Board the other night showing some different skyline renderings. Again I thought the Board's reception was generally very positive, although I think there will be some intense critique of the design as it moves forward.

The only negative public comment was from the ever-present George Rowe (sp?), who I've never heard say a good word about any proposal and who was comparing the Board to an organized crime ring and casting other aspersions, as per usual!

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.37.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.38.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 12.38.20 PM.png

Thanks for the screen shots Max! One of the questions we had was the Congress Street facade and it appears it will be a duplicate of the other side which is good. Love the streetscape view heading down Congress Street as the new tower adds some needed balance and substance on the southern side of the main drag.

Really cool to finally see the "back side" of the building facing Congress. I had been thinking a big portion of at least one side would be devoid of windows to facilitate elevator shafts / mechanical. It's nice to see that windows more or less fully wrap the building. This design is really a standout.

Last edited:
Really cool to finally see the "back side" of the building facing Congress. I had been thinking a big portion of at least one side would be devoid of windows to facilitate elevator shafts / mechanical. It's nice to see that windows more or less fully wrap the building. This design is really a standout.
No no - we considered every angle. Just as important as the water side since you will see it from 295.....

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Catherine. The initial concept is evolving into a very attractive residential tower that will bring vitality and foot traffic to the center of downtown which will greatly benefit retailers, restaurants and entertainment venues for decades to come.

Working on Exterior Lighting per the feedback on this thread. Hopefully will have something along those lines to share with you all shortly! ~C
Nice. I travel a lot around the U.S., and the buildings in the cities with pleasant accent lighting really add beauty to a city. Now Dallas is another story. It's cool, all their building lights, but I feel like I'm entering Vegas. A bit too much. Hey, wouldn't it be great if Portland's light visionary Pandora LaCassee did something for the Portland-SoPo bridge? Something that would change color every few minutes like the Empire State Building top does. But subdued colors--tasteful.

Maybe the lights could be configured to signal the upcoming weather similar to the John Hancock beacon in Boston and similar displays in other cities. Solid blue - fair with no clouds, flashing blue - approaching clouds, solid red - approaching rain, flashing red - approaching snow. Current temperature not necessary due to it being provided by another Portland high rise!

norfolk_vabeach_metroscenes.com_45.jpg

Another option is what Norfolk, VA has accomplished with their skyline. I lived in the Hampton Roads area for 20 years and was always impressed with the efforts Norfolk made to illuminate and outline it's principle buildings. It actually started in the 70's with just one tower and over the years every high rise joined in to accomplish the view we see today. If 200 Federal Street outlined it's exterior it could start a similar trend in Portland with support from individual owners, local corporations and businesses. Portland would look stunning due to it's downtown being perched on a natural amphitheater on both sides and illuminating the taller buildings on the Congress Street spine would be dramatic when approaching the city from 295.

View attachment 9943
Another option is what Norfolk, VA has accomplished with their skyline. I lived in the Hampton Roads area for 20 years and was always impressed with the efforts Norfolk made to illuminate and outline it's principle buildings. It actually started in the 70's with just one tower and over the years every high rise joined in to accomplish the view we see today. If 200 Federal Street outlined it's exterior it could start a similar trend in Portland with support from individual owners, local corporations and businesses. Portland would look stunning due to it's downtown being perched on a natural amphitheater on both sides and illuminating the taller buildings on the Congress Street spine would be dramatic when approaching the city from 295.
This would run counter to the city’s efforts to support lower emissions and Dark Sky initiatives — and to the point of another commenter, this is more Dallas / Vegas rather than the simplicity, elegance and utility of the Hancock Tower weather beacon. :)

Dark Sky places are extremely limited when it comes to urban centers and there are currently no participating cities east of Chicago and only a handful out west with Flagstaff, AZ being the most prominent. Most of these designated "places" are state/national parks and wilderness preserves which is understandable. Though I personally feel that the Norfolk skyline looks classy, I realize that outlining buildings with LED lighting is not for everyone but only presented it as a potential option for 200 Federal Street with the hope that others may follow.

Last edited:
Thanks Max, love the perspective from the first photo!

Last edited:

Back