The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Going through the Planning Board packet, I noticed a couple of people not in support of this monstrosity...LOL
11/3/2020City of Portland Mail - Pl-001235-2020https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ik=3d545c4120&view=pt&search=all&permthid=thread-f%3A1682346107162255618&simpl=msg-f%3A16823461071...1/1Caitlin Cameron <ccameron@portlandmaine.gov>Pl-001235-20201 messagej p <pierress@yahoo.com>Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 8:31 AMTo: ccameron@portlandmaine.govGood morning My name is Joseph Palacci, I own 102-104-106 Exchange street, I also own Richbuilding on Exchange street . I am not familiar with the procedure , but I strongly object this project. I t will put a tremendous burden on the block for parking, and put a stress on an already dense area. I would like to know the procedure for stoping this project !Thank you Joseph Palacci 207-450-9000. Here is another one...
Lorry Schwellenbach<lorryschwell@gmail.com>Mar 11, 2021, 9:42:20 AM (yesterday) to planningboard@portlandmaine.govMarch 11, 2021To the members of the Portland City Council,A height variance should not be approved for Redfern Properties. A 190 foot tall building is not allowed in the area of200 Federal St. based on the Downtown Vision Document. A document that was carefully constructed withpurposely planned height limits. If the city planners feel that the Downtown Vision Document and the height overlay map needs updating then theycan open up that process. It should not be altered in a piecemeal fashion, but updated through a thoughtful,thorough and transparent process. Amendments, changes or exceptions to a document that has fared the city wellshould not be made based on the wants of a developer who is looking to make as much money from a project aspossible. The proposed sight is a block from the beautiful City Hall building, a block from First Parish Church and the MasonicTemple building, in addition to a block from the Exchange Street shopping area. This is why there are heightrestrictions, to protect the area.The planning board approved changing the height restrictions to allow what would become the tallest building in thecity to be built at 200 Federal St. I implore the City Council to not allow the height variance. Yes we need more apartments on the peninsula, and it is happening. 170 units are approved to be built on HanoverSt. in an 8 story building. The Mercy Hospital building on State St. is going to be turned into apartments. Redfernadded 139 units (the Hiawatha) on Congress St. in an 8 story building. A similar size apartment building would bewelcome at 200 Federal Street, not an 18 story building!Thank you for your time in considering my thoughts and concerns.Sincerely,Lorry Schwellenbachlorryschwell@gmail.com207-650-5702

I love Paley Park in NYC. This first time I saw it 5 years ago I couldn’t stop thinking how perfect a waterwall feature would be for Portland. I wish you good luck and hope you make this happen. View attachment 11581
It would not lack in Instagram photo shoots...
Beautiful! What a lovely picture. Thank you for sharing this! ~ CC

15A37A1D-2032-4F9C-93C5-1AE74A0BE839.jpeg
Just got this and am getting very excited! ~ C

Love the brick color, very similar to the Canal Plaza buildings and the blue trim really pops. Catherine, more photos please. :)

Last edited:
Love the brick color, very similar to the Canal Plaza buildings. The blue trim really pops, more photos Catherine :)
Thank you! The trim is actually a champagne color...I think this is meant to be an evening reflection which is why it’s kinda blue. Have a few more but we are tweaking! ~C

Silver/champagne trim color will be even better and I'm glad my eyes aren't deceiving me yet!

That’s is great looking! And you got news today that 88 donuts is going in directly across street so get the construction workers all sugar’s up and get this built in 3 months

20FA2F92-FE12-4883-A01A-D16A3EE97A46.jpeg
We are working on the pocket park after feedback from planning board. They didn’t like our “desire lines” - new term for me. Having a bit of a philosophical difference of whether park should be a pass through with direct path across it to the post office door or a prioritize seating. I’m pushing to prioritize seating.

Prioritize the seating. (And the post office will soon be a thing of the past.) The best architecture makes one want to stay and admire it. Whenever I'm in Boston I head to Copley Plaza and sit down to take in the juxtaposition of Trinity Church with the Hancock Tower (angled to minimize a wall effect). The church and the sky reflect beautifully in the tower's glass so you kind of think the tower is not there but it is.

Really liking these new renderings. What's going on to the right of the entrance on Federal St? In earlier renderings it was windows and a large maintenance door now it looks like brick and a couple of man doors.

Definitely prioritize the seating - I wonder how much that entrance will be used once the building is in and parking is less convenient.

View attachment 12211We are working on the pocket park after feedback from planning board. They didn’t like our “desire lines” - new term for me. Having a bit of a philosophical difference of whether park should be a pass through with direct path across it to the post office door or a prioritize seating. I’m pushing to prioritize seating.

What about a "yes, and..." rather than an "either or..."? Seems like one could prioritize seating AND have clear 'desire lines' thru the space by incorporating more small cafe tables and chairs, which are more permeable to walk thru. Cafe tables and chairs offer many more seating arrangements than long, linear, fixed stone benches, and can't be used as a skateboard play-set when not occupied. People are more drawn to spaces with tables and chairs because they can eat or work on a laptop, etc. If park users can move the furniture around a bit, we really find out what the true desire lines are.

Really liking these new renderings. What's going on to the right of the entrance on Federal St? In earlier renderings it was windows and a large maintenance door now it looks like brick and a couple of man doors.

Definitely prioritize the seating - I wonder how much that entrance will be used once the building is in and parking is less convenient.
Thank you!

To the right of the entrance were windows that would have had to be fake bc they were looking at a parking spot. Don’t like pretending like that...I was never a fan of the garage door as it wasn’t truly enclosing the space. The parking space wasn’t great since it’s right at the entrance. Seemed tough getting in and out of. So we moved the fire command room to parking space which helps retail space, removed garage doors and finished wall with brick, doors you see are to bike room which I need to dress up a bit, and to continue rhythm of windows tried to create a seating opportunity/moment. I’d like to pull in some sort of element from pocket park as art on wall.

What about a "yes, and..." rather than an "either or..."? Seems like one could prioritize seating AND have clear 'desire lines' thru the space by incorporating more small cafe tables and chairs, which are more permeable to walk thru. Cafe tables and chairs offer many more seating arrangements than long, linear, fixed stone benches, and can't be used as a skateboard play-set when not occupied. People are more drawn to spaces with tables and chairs because they can eat or work on a laptop, etc. If park users can move the furniture around a bit, we really find out what the true desire lines are.
Moveable cafe and tables are part of plan and need to be dropped back in. What we did was try to create the desire line visually by removing the bench in front of door but didn’t feel like we need a direct walking path straight to the door - they requested we remove the middle bench but I feel its small enough to meander. The purpose is to meander! Slow it down a bit. ~C

Moveable cafe and tables are part of plan and need to be dropped back in. What we did was try to create the desire line visually by removing the bench in front of door but didn’t feel like we need a direct walking path straight to the door - they requested we remove the middle bench but I feel its small enough to meander. The purpose is to meander! Slow it down a bit. ~C
But now I’m thinking maybe we should make it all cafe tables in chairs....good food for thought. ~C

Back