The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

The renderings look better all the time. Has there been any progress on a lighting feature around the top?

Also, to clarify, will the address be 200 or 201 Federal? It's the even side of the street but the renderings show 201.

Agreed, that last batch of renderings look great. Much better sense of what the ground-level will be like. Really excited to see this move forward.

On the Agenda for the Historic Preservation Board tonight if anyone is interested in watching. ~C

Please provide a link if you have it. I'm sure some people will be interested. I have a passing interest and will tune in if I'm around.

Reactions: GIL
Please provide a link if you have it. I'm sure some people will be interested. I have a passing interest and will tune in if I'm around.

ZOOM MEETING INSTRUCTIONS
You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Apr 21, 2021 05:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Historic Preservation Board Workshop and Public Hearing 04/21/2021
Please click the link below to join the webinar: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83440724537

Is this the last hurdle prior to City Council final approval?

I am suddenly interested in this as I recently purchased my first home, very close to this site. I think it will only enhance the area, the local businesses will need all the non seasonal footfall they can get after recent tumult. I also think though, that these will not really be affordable when all is said and done, I can see at least 500-550 per sq/ft, in portland with a median income of ~34k, it will definitely be beyond the average person. I'm still supportive of it, this is reality.

Is this the last hurdle prior to City Council final approval?

Still needs planning workshops and final site plan approval from the Planning Board. City Council doesn't need to review the project any further, to my knowledge.

The only thing I'm really unsure of at this point is the brick recess to the right of the residential entrance. I feel like it calls too much attention to itself and that it's hiding something. I think if the back wall of the recess was (tinted) glass or the champagne aluminum from the other accents it would stand out much less. I also think I would feel differently about it if it weren't so close to the residential entrance, but as it sits now it just feels like something that would be on the side or rear of a building not the front.

I was disappointed that Refern is still on the fence about the lighting in the cornice - but I am interested to hear more about the planned lighting in the pocket park. They mentioned lights suspended from cables in between the trees - wondering if these cables would be attached to the USPS building or otherwise supported?

I think I'm fine with the awnings on the Federal St side if they end up being done right. I like that they differentiate the commercial portion of the building, but in that case I would like to see them in front of the commercial space on the Temple St side as well.

All this over discussion about walking access to the rear door of the USPS is BS. I use that PO (and walk through the Old Port to get to it) and I enter through Congress St.

All in all, though, I'm more excited about this project than anything in recent history. Looking forward to watching the steel go up!

I have mixed feelings about that brick recess. I get what Redfern is doing, since even tinted glass there would hint at the mechanicals behind it. Perhaps if the brick was just broken up with some sort of feature or art installation or something. That might be better than just a brick wall.

I do like the added details with varying brick direction around the window openings.

I'm OK with the brick recess, if it was extended a few more sections it would be more of an issue for me. Kind of reminds me of the seating areas in front of the Portland Museum of Art even though there is an actual walkway behind it.

Reactions: GIL
Does anyone know how the Historic Preservation Board workshop went last month?

Does anyone know how the Historic Preservation Board workshop went last month?

It went very well, and they voted unanimously to support the project. It sounded like there might still be a few minor tweaks to the design of the pocket park or the street level facade, and they asked to be advised of any changes.

I believe the last remaining major regulatory hurdle is site plan approval from the Planning Board, but perhaps the Redfern folks can confirm?

Thanks Max, glad to hear that it was unanimously supported.

The project will be before the Planning Board on May 25th Public Hearing..

200 FEDERAL STREET

To Residents and Property Owners: The Planning Board will hold a REMOTE public hearing to consider a proposal for an 18 story, 180,000 square foot mixed use building with 266 residential units and ground-floor commercial space at 201 Federal Street. The subject property is 55,321 square feet in size, is zoned B-3 Downtown Business, and is located within the Congress Street Historic District. Public Comments will be taken at this meeting. Written comments should be submitted to planningboard@portlandmaine.gov. Please refer to the document, Guide to Public Participation in the Planning Board Process, for revised procedures for public comment which can be found at http://www.portlandmaine.gov/551/Development-Review.

The REMOTE PUBLIC HEARING will be held: Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 6:30 p.m. (this item is 2nd on the agenda)

For more information on how to access the remote meeting and how to give public comment, please go to www.portlandmaine.gov/remotePUD. A project and plan summary is available for viewing on the Citizen Self Service Portal (https://css.portlandmaine.gov/), by referencing Plan Number PL-000975-2020. Memos and reports are posted on https://www.portlandmaine.gov/129/Agendas-Minutes by the end of business day on the Friday before the Planning Board meeting. If you have any questions regarding the proposal, please contact Caitlin Cameron, Urban Designer, by phone at (207)874-8901 or e-mail at ccameron@portlandmaine.gov

The start time above is wrong - they are almost done with 200 Federal. So far so good - building looks the same, pocket park benches have been redesigned, and there is a bench along the base of the water feature. Comments aren't bad. Jonathan mentioned they're planning to apply for building permit within a week and break ground in August.

Back