The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Since you’re on here from Redfern.....

I know this is a massive undertaking but has there been any discussion on your company taking the midtown land? You already have a good name in the city and this project t went through with almost no fight. You could do the bayside project and retire!

I know this is a massive undertaking but has there been any discussion on your company taking the midtown land? You already have a good name in the city and this project t went through with almost no fight. You could do the bayside project and retire!

Agree 110%, though Redfern is in it for more than the money. You can see it from the designs. They actually care about what they build and how it effects the community after. Kaplan Thompson too. That would be a great partnership.

Jumping on the bandwagon - this would be awesome. I've loved everything Redfern has done. I emailed them years ago when they were building the Pine/Brackett Street place just to tell them it was great. I agree on the positive reputation in the community. Even in partnership with other groups, they could get "Midtown" done, and probably better.

Also confirmed by Landry/French today:

1630011735687.png

I would love to take on the midtown land! No one has reached out but that would be a killer opportunity! ~ C

So that was a doozy to get over the finish line - spent 3 solid weeks slicing and dicing the budget to get it over the finish line. I'm calling this thing the Phoenix right now because over the past 2 years I've thought it was dead many times. And I honestly thought it was dead again 4 weeks ago....but we muscled it over. We still have one major hurdle with CMP but feel like we have the right team assembled to clear that as well. Much more fun to watch it start to take shape! Thank you as always for the great, candid feedback. We did actually listen and at end of the day think we came up with a better building!

Onward to the Pocket Park! ~ C

I was in Kansas City last week and there is a big Marriott constructed of all brick, of which is depressing and dull to look at. However, at night, it's now an LED light show running along the front of the building. LED lighting is relatively inexpensive, and an enveloping string at the top of 200 Federal would certainly add more life to downtown Portland at night. And, for boats coming into the harbor. Go for it.

We still have one major hurdle with CMP but feel like we have the right team assembled to clear that as well.
Could this hurdle delay the project or even prevent it from moving forward? Hopefully it's an issue that will need to be resolved at some point during the construction process, the word "major" caught my attention.

Last edited:
Could this hurdle delay the project or even prevent it from moving forward? Hopefully it's an issue that will need to be resolved at some point during the construction process, the word "major" caught my attention.
Let's just say if someone asked what's keeping you up at night the answer is CMP. ~ C

Ever since CMP was bought by the spainairds.. CMP is not the same company 20+ years ago. Cheap Cheap Cheap, The new VA is running into issues with poles....its time to dismantle the giant...I never knew a company that put a wall up against underground utilities. You cant say anything to them...

In process of demo - paving entry to Post Office before Ida remnants. Hoping to start actually digging next week but haven’t quite settled on groundbreaking ceremony. I’ll keep you posted.

~C

Is the plan to keep the Federal Street entrance to the post office open during construction? If so I’m surprised, given the proximity to the site!

Ever since CMP was bought by the spainairds.. CMP is not the same company 20+ years ago. Cheap Cheap Cheap, The new VA is running into issues with poles....its time to dismantle the giant...I never knew a company that put a wall up against underground utilities. You cant say anything to them...
The new VA on Commercial Street? Wish I could say I was surprised but sadly I am not. ~C

Is the plan to keep the Federal Street entrance to the post office open during construction? If so I’m surprised, given the proximity to the site!
It is part of our requirements. We are going to build an overhead structure similar to what you see in NYC when you walk under buildings under construction. I think they are starting that soon too. Perfect day for Demo! ~C

Back