The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Finally we will get some NYC-style scaffolding! In some parts of Manhattan it feels like you can't go three blocks without walking under scaffolding. At one point the city was cracking down on buildings that left scaffolding in place years after construction was done.

Finally we will get some NYC-style scaffolding! In some parts of Manhattan it feels like you can't go three blocks without walking under scaffolding. At one point the city was cracking down on buildings that left scaffolding in place years after construction was done.

95"]

Actually, with most buildings it's not for construction. It's for inspections. I live and work in midtown Manhattan much of the time, and one building I know of has had scaffolding up for over 20 years because it's too expensive for them to fix. Usually, it's an inspection and "light" fix, which can take months or even years. In 2019 an architect was walking on the sidewalk and was killed by a chunk of terra-cotta that fell from a building that was over 100 years old (I know, ironic, an architect). But the sad or ridiculous part here is that the architect (a woman) was found negligent, so the family got nothing from it. NYC is definitely a different animal.

Last edited:
New article in Mainebiz today mentioning the groundbreaking for what will LIKELY (not aware of any others that are not church spires) be Maine's tallest building. Also talks about some of the issues French Landry will have to deal with when it comes to cost increases, subcontractors, traffic, worker shortages and CMP's need to tear up Federal Street for power requirements which must be what is causing Catherine sleepless nights!

Last edited:
New article in Mainebiz today mentioning the groundbreaking for what will LIKELY (not aware of any others that are not church spires) be Maine's tallest building. Also talks about some of the issues French Landry will have to deal with when it comes to cost increases, subcontractors, traffic, worker shortages and CMP's need to tear up Federal Street for power requirements which must be what is causing Catherine sleepless nights!
No better time than now to revisit the idea of fixing Franklin Street/Arterial if they have to tear it up for electrical. Maybe I can send CMP some cookies?

No better time than now to revisit the idea of fixing Franklin Street/Arterial if they have to tear it up for electrical. Maybe I can send CMP some cookies?
Franklin and Federal are two very different streets :) .

I keep seeing 201 Federal Street every once in a while which would make sense because the tower is being built on the odd numbered side of the street. Can anyone chime in on the official address so I can change the thread title from 200?

Last edited:
I keep seeing 201 Federal Street every once in a while which would make sense because the tower is being built on the odd numbered side of the street. Can anyone chime in on the official address so I can change the thread title from 200?
We won't know the official address until the fire department officially assigns an address for 911 purposes. I refer to it as both honestly! ~ C

Fencing and barriers are up. Construction is well and truly underway!

1630703411010.png

I hope Redfern will adorn the fencing with a rendering of the new building as we see with most construction sites and maybe they're waiting for the official groundbreaking. I was asked if I knew what was going in there by two different individuals during my last photo shoot.

So glad that stupid wall is gone with the weird Mario Bros. game looking end cap.

Also the Nickelodeon Garage could use a facelift like the garage on Fore street.

Attachments

• Mario.JPG
    Mario.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
The Temple Street garage renovation is complete and the city could not move forward with the original more ambitious facade plans due to cost issues. On the positive side, maybe the owners of the Nickelodeon will consider future theater renovations knowing that they are going to have at least 300 new potential movie goers living less than a block away?

Last edited:
On the positive side, maybe the owners of the Nickelodeon will pursue future theater renovations knowing that they are going to have at lease 300 new potential movie goers living less than a block away?

I've emailed with the ownership of the Nick a few time over the last year (Patriot Cinemas, based in MA.) From the sounds of it they're barely hanging on. They've kept the lights on thanks to federal relief money, but since reopening in June they've sold an average of 8% of seats per showing. Unless people get comfortable going back to the movies soon I think the Nick might be in trouble. I've bought a couple gift certificates just to help them out, but frankly I haven't yet been able to bring myself to go sit in a movie theatre for two hours.

But even pre-pandemic they were not in a position to perform major renovations, which I had inquired about a couple years ago.

Which is why I hope they look at the potential to be profitable with some of the upcoming changes in their immediate surroundings which would even include hotel guests in the Time & Temperature Building along with residents in the numerous apartment and condo projects all within walking distance. Would be sad to loose the ability to see a new release movie downtown and I agree that the pandemic is a current but hopefully not a future issue.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the L shape concrete slab is that they unearthed? Hopefully it's not an ancient burial site of our Portland ancestors that could end up delaying the project!

Back