The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

IMG_5371.jpeg

Talked to Jonathan this morning and he told me residents are already moving in. He also showed me the renderings of Redfern's new project on Washington Avenue and I think the response will be very positive and they will be released to the public next week.

Last edited:
I'm not really sold on the sign at the top. It's too small honestly. I strongly would have preferred a horizontal "THE" and think 8 letters across (with the small break between words) would have filled the space 100x better. The color scheme is also tough to read. I was picturing something more prominent, like The Lenox Hotel in Boston's sign.

1709925228705.png

IMG_5367.jpeg

One last photo that is a little closer to the tower. I love the lighthouse "beacon" design and color combination of the new sign but in my opinion it's not very visible during daytime hours. Low profile might be Redfern's goal but if the entire sign was in the darker blue shade it would definitely stand out more.

DZH22, you posted a few moments prior to me without seeing what you wrote and it just shows the we are on the same page most of the time! :)

Last edited:
I'm not really sold on the sign at the top. It's too small honestly. I strongly would have preferred a horizontal "THE" and think 8 letters across (with the small break between words) would have filled the space 100x better. The color scheme is also tough to read. I was picturing something more prominent, like The Lenox Hotel in Boston's sign.

View attachment 48392
Sadly, Portland lacks substantive neon. I miss the Merrill "rolling tire" sign that used to adorn their HQ on Forest Ave. and which later was on the cargo port visible from the Veteran's Bridge.

Jonathan told me he'd be happy to arrange another tour once the lobby and the observation lounge has been completed. Hopefully we'll have a better turn out than just Mark and myself to make it worth their time and effort. (y)

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 2.18.56 PM 2.png

Excellent article today in Mainebiz about Jonathan and Catherine's efforts to help provide Portland with affordable housing. As part of the Business Leaders of the Year recognition, it also discusses current developments like The Casco and The Nightingale and their hopes to add up to 1000 more apartments on the peninsula in the future understanding obstacles such as construction costs and interest rates makes new projects challenging. Two extremely nice, down to earth individuals who along with the rest of the Redfern team are doing great things for my hometown which I am very appreciative of. To many more years of continued success in Maine's premier city! (y)

Photo credit: Tim Greenway

Last edited:
I wonder what's going to become of the old Norway Savings drive-thru when it's no longer needed for construction staging.

It's an absurdly dumb use of Old Port real estate – if I were running Norway Savings Bank, I wouldn't want such a visible billboard in the middle of downtown Portland that's broadcasting how badly my bank is managing capital.

I wonder what's going to become of the old Norway Savings drive-thru when it's no longer needed for construction staging.

It's an absurdly dumb use of Old Port real estate – if I were running Norway Savings Bank, I wouldn't want such a visible billboard in the middle of downtown Portland that's broadcasting how badly my bank is managing capital.
We couldn't agree with you more! The Bank is only open 20 hours per week and the drive thru is a relic from a different era. I don't know when the lease expires but we would like to see a more appropriate use. A cafe with outdoor sitting would be nice!

Back