The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Agree, however there have been renovations recently that have improved the property which includes the small park on Temple Street, new entrances and an upscale main lobby connector with One Monument Square. At last check there is only 14,500 sf of office space available which isn't too bad for a 122,000 sf building considering the effects of the pandemic. I've always felt that the building was a perfect candidate to add a few extra floors due to it's square roof layout.

Just guessing, does the structural steel process average about a floor per week once the base is completed?

Anyone know if steel actually started today?

I walked by and saw what appeared to be steel stacked on the ground, but didn't notice anything new vertically.

Steel was being moved around today, but nothing discernibly vertical happening yet.

IMG-0878.jpeg

IMG-0875.jpeg

Eager to hear more about the pocket park progress... also wondering if any sort of architectural lighting at the top has been abandoned. I've liked seeing the lights on the crane at night.

Had an informative discussion with the Landry French project manager this morning and he gave me a better idea of the construction timeline as long as there are no major weather issues or delivery delays. The crane will be dismantled in November which means the entire exterior of the tower will be competed by Thanksgiving. The erection of steel will begin by tomorrow and the exterior of the three floor base will be done by masons. The top 15 floors are prefab and will utilize 19 sections per floor and should average around 4 construction days for each level. The actual skeleton of the structure will happen quickly once the base has been completed so we will hopefully witness the topping off ceremony by late summer.

Interesting stuff! Prefab means the walls will already be fully built before they're put up in pieces, right? So we won't see a steel skeleton go up followed by a filling in of the walls, correct?

Great question and I'm not sure. Would think the steel skeleton would always be a few floors ahead of the prefab installation unless the tower will be built one floor at a time due to the limitations of one crane?

Last edited:
I assume the prefab bits are going to be curtain wall panels? So yes, we would see skeleton being covered over.

Eager to hear more about the pocket park progress... also wondering if any sort of architectural lighting at the top has been abandoned. I've liked seeing the lights on the crane at night.
We did give up on the architectural lighting on the top between cost and design. The Old Port is pretty understated in this arena. On the other hand feeling super excited about lighting in the Pocket Park!!! Have a solid team pulled together and commissioned an art installation! Local artist. Had a great call with City today to review our proposal which seemed to go over well - still have a few things to work out. Personally I am Very Very Very excited about what’s happening in this space! ~C

We did give up on the architectural lighting on the top between cost and design. The Old Port is pretty understated in this arena. On the other hand feeling super excited about lighting in the Pocket Park!!! Have a solid team pulled together and commissioned an art installation! Local artist. Had a great call with City today to review our proposal which seemed to go over well - still have a few things to work out. Personally I am Very Very Very excited about what’s happening in this space! ~C
GoFundMe! I'll contribute the first $100. Portland's tallest building should brag it on the top, at night.

Or, maybe Pandora can place a few of her wonderful LED Christmas globes on top. How much does that cost? Not much, and the yearly electric bill even less.

At least there will be FAA required Aircraft Warning Lights on top of the building!

Last edited:

Back