The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

IMG_3856.jpeg

... as Catherine carefully avoids answering the "formal name of the building" question...
😉
Astute observation and very true. We've done a ton of thinking on the name - it was important to us to tie it to the land/environment/space. Some context/clues - I had just read the City of Portland's report on diversity and inclusion when we were in this exercise. So we rejected the typical name suggestions such as "The Percival" "The Baxter" Decided we could do better as a community. We also sought out local guidance/expertise on what we settled on. ~ C

Hmmmm....Peninsula Place? The Portland? Viewpoint Tower? Mistview? Terra Tower? Atlantica? The Colony? Earth Place?

I'll stick with my guesses from August (with edits based on the above):
  • The Phoenix
  • The Dirigo
  • The Resurgem
  • The Machigonne
  • The Penobscot
  • The Passamaquoddy
  • The Wabanaki
  • The Acadia
  • The Presumpscot
  • The Piscataquis
  • The Algonquian
  • The Levett
  • The Wadsworth-Longfellow
  • The Baxter
  • The Fore

My guess is "The Machigonne" due to the historical connection as Portland's first name, actual location of the tower (great neck) and a tribute to the indigenous people of Maine who coined it. It would also be similar to the well thought out naming of the "The Hiawatha" residential building in Longfellow Square. The Redfern team has proven to be quite clever, attentive to their projects and are community driven which is not always the case for some developers.

Last edited:

Back