The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Catherine, I understand you're not ready to divulge the tower's name yet but can you share where the signage will be located and if it will be illuminated? I'm going to guess the placement will be on the brick extensions just above the 18th floor on both sides of the building if the letters are not illuminated and on both sides of the mechanical penthouse if the letters are illuminated.

FUN FACTS....
Tulsa, Oklahoma has 28 buildings over 200 feet in height, and 2 over 600 feet. It's about twice the size of Portland in its metro measured population, which is the most accurate criterion of a city's size. Otherwise, El Paso, Texas is bigger than Boston, and a lot bigger than Miami. (Yes, it's somewhat laughable to compare.) And, when factoring commutes of about 2 hours or less to other metro areas, it's even smaller (Boston as compared to Oklahoma City). Moreover, when factoring in the many summertime tourists staying in hotels and eating out in restaurants for Portland, the gap closes even further. Do people go to Tulsa in the summer to party? I don't think so. Yes, Portland has always had a thing about tall buildings, or after the 1930s, anyway.

Last edited:
FUN FACTS....
Tulsa, Oklahoma has 28 buildings over 200 feet in height, and 2 over 600 feet. It's about twice the size of Portland in its metro measured population, which is the most accurate criterion of a city's size. Otherwise, El Paso, Texas is bigger than Boston, and a lot bigger than Miami. (Yes, it's somewhat laughable to compare.) And, when factoring commutes of about 2 hours or less to other metro areas, it's even smaller (Boston as compared to Oklahoma City). Moreover, when factoring in the many summertime tourists staying in hotels and eating out in restaurants for Portland, the gap closes even further. Do people go to Tulsa in the summer to party? I don't think so. Yes, Portland has always had a thing about tall buildings, or after the 1930s, anyway.
With this being said, are there any official or financially backed plans to build any other high-rise buildings in Portland? Also any other possible stores for the ground floor?
If it wasn't for oil, I think Tulsa would be the size of Portland or even smaller. If you go there, bring your own beer as their alcohol content is lower than beers sold in New England.

With this being said, are there any official or financially backed plans to build any other high-rise buildings in Portland?

Right now, The only other 160+ ft building on the peninsula that's anything more than hypothetical is the East Brown Cow / Canal Plaza hotel tower....and I would personally be very surprised if that ever becomes reality...The site they want to build on is genuinely not a good location for a building of that height (and they were told as much by city staff)

Right now, The only other 160+ ft building on the peninsula that's anything more than hypothetical is the East Brown Cow / Canal Plaza hotel tower....and I would personally be very surprised if that ever becomes reality...The site they want to build on is genuinely not a good location for a building of that height (and they were told as much by city staff)
Perhaps the Roux site if it's allowed. Wasn't the factory smokestack close to160 feet in height? What's the big deal with a building that is a bit taller than a smokestack that spews pollution? This anti-tall building thing is only going to hurt things as we travel down the road.

Can’t read those anymore. So tired of it. No one wants to deal with the reality of the situation and solve the problem out of fear of change. And the entitlement all around is nuts.

What if I told you a housing study came out that proved a certain type of housing reduced displacement in gentrifying neighborhoods by 19% and lowered rents in region by around 5-6%? You would think that would be an interesting fact and anyone interested in actually solving this housing crisis would look to understand that more. It’s just not the case. The actual end goals for many is very different. ~ C

Catherine, I understand you're not ready to divulge the tower's name yet but can you share where the signage will be located and if it will be illuminated? I'm going to guess the placement will be on the brick extensions just above the 18th floor on both sides of the building if the letters are not illuminated and on both sides of the mechanical penthouse if the letters are illuminated.
It's illuminated. Want to figure out what I can do with the lighting.....it's on the top of penthouse. Not on the brick......didn't want it to spill into any units. ~ C

Excellent! The top of the penthouse will stand out even more from the interstate and waterfront. Color choice? Red is probably a no due to the Eastland, green is already nearby because of M&T Bank's new sign and white is Bank of America's signage on One Monument Square. So that leaves silver, yellow, orange and pink! Blue could also work because it's only on the Temple Street side of One City Center for PretiFlaherty. (y)

I'd think silver is the way to go, but what color is the material above the penthouse? Can't put silver on silver...

E6F433EF-1E12-47C0-BE3B-D9A6D3DC54F2.jpeg

I think Catherine was talking about the tower's name (lettering) on top of the mechanical penthouse with no other lighting effects.

Back