The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Shaking out the fill to reduce our hauling costs. FINALLY cleared our CMP hurdle. That was a doozy. Going to get started on that. Have to rebuild their infrastructure down federal street, to pearl, then up pearl to Cumberland Ave. Waiting on final rebar plan to get that going. Site super is super eager about that to get it here by Oct 19…..can’t wait to meet some of you in person next week! ~C

D7F6D238-CD6E-470B-AC66-EE9B3159A3CA.jpeg
63048F73-2F68-4386-91F1-35944166BC16.jpeg
CAFE968C-57F6-4DBE-889D-BF70132B07B7.jpeg

I made it (albeit slightly late, during Mayor Snyder's remarks) and had to leave for another appointment, so I regrettably didn't meet anyone from here (or get a sandwich). Who else was there (besides Catherine, who wielded a shovel ;) )?

Also, congratulations on the successful groundbreaking!

IMG_2212.jpg

Glorious day weather wise and also for the continued growth of Portland. Cosakita and Max, nice meeting the both of you and we'll have to get together prior to the snow falling for a downtown tour. Sorry we missed you markhb but you are welcome to join us for any future endeavors. Catherine, you rock!

I'm glad I went down there, it was a bigger production than I expected! It was cool to get to stand in the hole and envision how it's going to change in the coming months. I'm only bummed that I didn't get one of the commemorative cookies that I later saw on Twitter!

Catherine confirmed that a construction camera is affixed to the roof of a neighboring building. Let's hope that's turned on soon and we can get a link!

It was nice to meet Jim and Eric and get to chat a bit. I'd be up for a "walk and talk" of current and future development sites if others are interested -- perhaps some time in November before winter sets in?

I have a few extra cookies and I'll save you and Eric one! Could I get a Moderator to change the thread title to 201 Federal Street instead of 200 now that we know the official address, thanks.

Last edited:
Great to see all of this done in a first class manner....I think that it bodes well for the building itself.

Where would all of you rank this in terms of modern day Portland construction projects (scope/size/historical impact)? I would say that it's up there along with:

Cumberland County Civic Center
One City Center
Maine Med (multiple incarnations)
Franklin Towers
???

Great question mainejeff and I like your list and would add One Monument Square, Canal Plaza, Portland Square, multiple PWM expansions and the construction of Interstate 295 on the infrastructure side. When it comes to civic pride, 201 Federal Street will top my list of modern day projects with One City Center in second place and the Cross Arena in third. I can't stress enough on how important One Monument Square was in the rejuvenation of downtown Portland in 1970, it was the first commercial high rise built in 43 years (Eastland Hotel) and was a major addition to a stagnant skyline. I'd choose the Fidelity Building when it comes to important historical landmarks with the Eastland Hotel and City Hall as runner-ups.

Last edited:
Yeah the rep from Landry French was very clear in this remarks that his company is working on the tallest building in the state. I think they sense a good marketing opportunity here! (By the way the Jonathan Culley gave a shout-out to the ArchBoston forum during his remarks!)

I would say this is the city's most significant development in many years in terms of impact, both visually on the cityscape and by bringing about 300 new residents to the heart of downtown. Then when you add in an appealing design that blends traditional materials with modern touches, the focus on energy efficiency, the fact of there being no on-site parking, the creation of a really unique pocket park, and it's a really forward-looking project, a building for a new era.

I might be a little younger than some of you folks, but I recall as a kid seeing Back Bay Tower being constructed while attending the Deering Oaks Family Festival. It's what started me down the path of being interested in development, design and architecture. Around the same time I began sketching out developments and buildings I wanted to see happen in and around Portland. I still have that portfolio today.

I'm certain this building will inspire some children today the same way Back Bay Tower inspired me as a child in the late 1980s.

I made it (albeit slightly late, during Mayor Snyder's remarks) and had to leave for another appointment, so I regrettably didn't meet anyone from here (or get a sandwich). Who else was there (besides Catherine, who wielded a shovel ;) )?

Also, congratulations on the successful groundbreaking!
Thank you!

Back