The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

IMG_2296.jpg

Was not aware that the below grade swimming pool was part of the project!

Last edited:
Great shots! Looks like the process of building upwards has begun. I'll toss a few rolls of paper towels down when I walk by later to help sop up some of that water.

Daniel, it's not a dumb question and we'll find out in a couple of years! It is much deeper in person which you would have found out if you didn't skip the groundbreaking : ) I defer to Redfern but I would guess it's around 30 feet below grade?

Last edited:
Landry/French says right on their website they "always dig foundations just deep enough!" So I'm not worried.

I'll agree that standing in the hole it felt deeper than it looks from above. I'd guess it's 25 or 30 feet down.

Given the overall geology of the peninsula (witness the cliffs below the Western Prom and overlooking Fish Point), I'm surprised there was that much to excavate above bedrock! It's neat to see, considering it's been nearly 30 years since there was a major excavation on the spine of the peninsula.

Any word on the construction camera?
Notice the camera on the roof of the building on the left in post #384. Hopefully Redfern will find a much higher location (Portland Square or Canal Plaza) once the building starts to exceed that height.

Nice! I'll rephrase... Is there a public URL for the camera? 😀

Last edited:
IMG_2324.jpg

Project general manager told me today that we'll start seeing structural steel going up by springtime. The indentation in the matting will be the location of the elevator shaft.

Last edited:
These are great photos. We appreciate the interest in the project and the support from this group!

The Mat Slab in these images is now ready and the pour will take place on Friday, Nov 19. This pour will last from 7am to 7pm and will require roughly 100 concrete trucks!

As for the questions on foundation depth, this slab is sitting on solid bedrock, so it is deep enough!

These are great photos. We appreciate the interest in the project and the support from this group!

The Mat Slab in these images is now ready and the pour will take place on Friday, Nov 19. This pour will last from 7am to 7pm and will require roughly 100 concrete trucks!

As for the questions on foundation depth, this slab is sitting on solid bedrock, so it is deep enough!
A while back in NYC, with fascination I watched the early foundations being prepared at Hudson Yards (eventually 20 towers will have gone up at this site). It was the biggest hole I've ever seen, and perhaps 50-60 feet down solid bedrock. I've heard that all of Manhattan is sitting on this. The Big Apple is more like the Big Rock.

Back