The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Thanks, I was so interested with the 201 Federal Street crane I missed that there were actually two at MMC. Back to the question Max had, two large cranes for a 7 story building? Must have something to do with the massive concrete wall the building is being built next to.

The two cranes probably allow a speedier build. Boston has gone crane crazy. Some sites are lifting steel two at a time. I've seen two girders being lifted in the air, one half-way up and the other at the bottom. A new technique, I guess. Maine Med will go up relatively fast. After all, it's about human health.

The two cranes probably allow a speedier build. Boston has gone crane crazy. Some sites are lifting steel two at a time. I've seen two girders being lifted in the air, one half-way up and the other at the bottom. A new technique, I guess. Maine Med will go up relatively fast. After all, it's about human health.
The steel might go up fast, but the rough-in takes forever because there's so much infrastructure in the building. Ordinary towers don't need plumbing in every room, let alone oxygen lines! :)

MIP_AERIAL_PORTLAND-DOWNTOWN_MAINE_4004-L.jpg

Nice aerial view of the 201 Federal Street site and downtown core.

Last edited:
Pretty close, but it's actually 2014 just after the renovations to the Cross Arena were completed and prior to the exterior makeover to One Monument Square.

Last edited:
I like this angle of the city, you don't see it from this view often. Back up a little and you can get Canal and a bit more of downtown.

858940_485857051478726_1929274051_o 2.jpg

Old photo from around 1990 with BIW in the foreground. I think this angle and height shows the downtown massing very well and this same view will be even more impressive once the new tower is completed. Portland's urban density and it's cluster of mid rise towers are remarkable for a city just shy of 70,000.

Last edited:
Wow - that still shows Jordan Meats.

Add all of the buildings along Commercial as well as the Eastern Waterfront (WEX, etc) and this would look awesome. I like this somewhat South-West shot rather than the usual North-East glance we typically get.

I keep asking but not getting much from Landry French. Getting the sense they aren't keen on the idea. I'll ask again! ~C

Have you suggested to them that this could be incorporated into their marketing efforts? Every MaineBiz email I open has their banner ad: Building Maine's Tallest Building! They could add Click Here to Watch!

If for some reason they decline, someone on this board must know a property manager of a nearby building. We can set up our own webcam!

Put it on One City Center and get the radio stations to sponsor it!

Back