The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

They tweeted this pic too:
1643322505727.png

The city looks so old in this direction.
Looking back up Congress has always been the least-attractive view from the Observatory, and this is similar. The fact that it's dominated by the partially-blank wall of the Commerce Building, Two Monument Square and the short side of One City Center doesn't help.

The East End waterfront aerials feel like a different city. The before and after (from about 5-6 years ago to present) are dramatic. There are a few to compare on the Maine Imagining website.

Check out the Instagram page for this project. A few more cool shots to see.

Here's an interesting question, or for me, that is: Will the elevators in this building indicate a 19th floor? We all know that hotels don't have a "13th" floor, and most apartment buildings too. However, I've been in office buildings with a 13th floor. I guess it has something to do with whether or not one sleeps there, not wanting the bad luck of "13" to make a bad dream even worse?

Anyone notice the illuminated numeral 2 (above photo) on Two Monument Square. There is also one on the Congress Street entrance and it adds a nice touch to a rather bland building that has no corporate logos or decorative features.

That ground-floor parking garage fronting Congress St. in 2 Monument Square is an astounding waste of space – as far as I know, it's the only garage entrance that fronts Congress Street between City Hall and Longfellow Square.

This is in a neighborhood that yields $30-$50/SF for ground-floor retail space, but these landlords are opting for about a dozen parking spots instead. No wonder they've struggled to lease the rest of their building. They're creating a dead zone in the Congress Street streetscape that also affects a lot of the surrounding properties.

Back