The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

IMG_3213.jpeg

IMG_3185 2.jpeg

Starting on the 12th floor. Notice that it takes 12 floors in the new tower to equal the 10 floors in Two Monument Square due to 10 foot spacing versus 12 which is the norm between office and residential/hotel buildings.

Last edited:
The photo from the Courthouse Garage is the shot of the month Corey!

Last edited:
I'm of mixed feelings (not that it matters) about naming buildings. It seems a tad pretentious and unnecessary on the one hand, and I think calling a building by its address is cool and also eliminates the location question. "Yo -- I live at 201 Federal! Any questions?"

Catherine -- any estimate of a topping out date? I'm guessing October? Also any updates on the pocket park design?

Catherine, so it appears you've already chosen the name? If not, the loyal followers on this site could give you many options to pick from. I agree with Max, 201 Federal does has a nice ring to it. With "The Hiawatha" selected for your Longfellow Square project, I'm guessing you will have a historical connection with the naming of the new tower.

Last edited:
Evangeline Towers?

The Federal?

I might suggest something based on the history of the particular parcel but I have no idea what was there before the Maineway era.

Also, I just looked back at Page 1 of the thread (as I think Catherine has actually posted something they found about the site's history), and found that we are coming up on just the 2-year anniversary of the thread and the building is within spitting distance of getting topped off! (I don't want to know when the Covetrus work started...)

I'm of mixed feelings (not that it matters) about naming buildings. It seems a tad pretentious and unnecessary on the one hand, and I think calling a building by its address is cool and also eliminates the location question. "Yo -- I live at 201 Federal! Any questions?"

Catherine -- any estimate of a topping out date? I'm guessing October? Also any updates on the pocket park design?
Don’t disagree with that necessarily given all the names that were recommended in the first round which I dismissed out of hand but given how this building impacts the skyline we took to heart the importance of its location. It’s also an opportunity in my opinion. Looking early October! Good guess! Struggling with the water feature aspect of the pocket park. It’s technical, requires a lot of infrastructure and is proving to be wicked expensive. I feel like with the artist we’ve engaged with it’s less important but still chasing it down. ~ C

So let the guessing begin: The Apex, The Summit, The Crest, The Peak, The Pinnacle ...

The Portlander, The Maine Tower, or my personal favorite, 201 Federal Street.

858181_487583767972721_651391799_o.jpg

I would have no issues with The Portlander! But Catherine stated that the chosen name is based on the impact on the skyline and the importance of the building's location. I used to stay in his motel in the mid seventies and it was bizarre to be hanging out at the pool only 10 feet from Congress St!

Last edited:
My guesses:
  • The Phoenix
  • The Dirigo
  • The Resurgem
  • The Machigonne
  • The Penobscot
  • The Passamaquoddy
  • The Wabanaki
  • The Acadia
  • The Presumpscot
  • The Piscataquis
  • The Algonquian
  • The Levett
  • The Wadsworth-Longfellow
  • The Baxter
  • The Fore

Last edited:
View attachment 26945
I would have no issues with The Portlander! But Catherine stated that the chosen name is based on the impact on the skyline and the importance of the building's location. I used to stay in his motel in the mid seventies and it was bizarre to be hanging out at the pool only 10 feet from Congress St!
I never stayed there, but I remember the weird blue steel girder structure over the driveway! What is it now, regular apartments?

Yes and quite pricey but an improvement over the period the hotel was used as dorms for USM. It was the Columbia Hotel during my parents era and eventually became the Executive Inn (Best Western) in the 80's after the demise of the Portlander.

Here are some of my ideas....

The one that I may like the best might be the most obvious......Skyline (I actually like this without "The")

More:

Skyview
The Compass
Centerview
The Atlantic
The Redfern :p

The Residences at SoCoNoMi
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpeg
(South of Congress, North of Middle). Do you work on your laptop all day and want to impress your far-flung co-workers with spectacular natural Zoom backgrounds of Portland Harbor or Back Cove? Want endless hipster dining options at your doorstep after a hard day on your laptop? Make your new home the Residences at SoCoNoMi
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpeg
today! As a bonus, residents with north-facing windows will get to watch Portland's indigent community "freshen up" in our water feature several times a day during warmer months!

Back