The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Great to see the porta potty rising above the Portland skyline. My wife and I can see it from the rooftop on chestnut street, we often question how they pump it out up there and how one porta potty serves the whole crew.
The crane lowers it to the ground and then picks up a "fresh" one.

IMG_3280.jpeg

One City Center roof top edge, leaning over for a better shot is not an option!

Last edited:
My observation would be that all of the above-mentioned markets are at the other end of a not-insignificant hill. A grocery could fill the role that Paul's had before the Trusiani's retired (which means accommodating the retirees in the old Congress Square Hotel apartments).

Having said that, doesn't Bow Street already have a Portland location, in the former Maine Video Systems at Forest and Dartmouth?

As an aficionado of the Millennium Tower thread in the Boston forum here, could Roche Bros. be an option here?

Having said that, doesn't Bow Street already have a Portland location, in the former Maine Video Systems at Forest and Dartmouth?

There is a Bow Street Beverage there, although I believe there is no connection to Bow Street Market.

Disregard that last part, they are connected - the Portland location, however, is only wine/beer/spirits.

I think there is space for a neighborhood market in that area - when you need something small/quick midweek but don't want the hassle of sitting in line at Whole Foods while someone scans $1100 worth of food. Both the West and East Ends have a Rosemont, the East End also has the Co-Op and the Superette.

There is nothing in that area that has a grocery-aka quick deli, small items, etc. and open after 6pm. I personally would not want to walk to trader joes or whole foods unless I had someone come with me to watch my back... just not safe. With the Congress st conversion from offices to Apartments, 477 Congress, and the development next to City Hall, we could see a large amount of foot traffic needing immediate access to grocery items.

Whole Foods, Rosemont and the Co-op are fine, but they're not great for "everyday" grocery shopping. I've never been able to find everything I need at the Co-op or Rosemont...and they're significantly more expensive overall.

Obviously the footprint of this building isn't big enough for a full-service grocery store, but I'd love to see some kind of "Hannaford Express" or something.

Yes I would think something between a corner store and a supermarket. A place where one could buy the ingredients for a sandwich, similar to rosemont. Walking to whole foods is a pain to just get something small. The Rosemont east end is an 18 minute walk one way.

There is nothing in that area that has a grocery-aka quick deli, small items, etc. and open after 6pm. I personally would not want to walk to trader joes or whole foods unless I had someone come with me to watch my back... just not safe. With the Congress st conversion from offices to Apartments, 477 Congress, and the development next to City Hall, we could see a large amount of foot traffic needing immediate access to grocery items.

The influx of new housing in this area should help at least with the perception of safety, the whole "eyes on the street" idea. I concur that a small. grocery with early/late hours would be a nice addition on this stretch.

Yes I would think something between a corner store and a supermarket. A place where one could buy the ingredients for a sandwich, similar to rosemont. Walking to whole foods is a pain to just get something small. The Rosemont east end is an 18 minute walk one way.
Like Fresh Approach but a bit updated.

Bow street market Freeport style has been my opinion since the beginning I want the cut of the $$$ for idea fee don’t you guys cut in lol

I would like to see something like the French & Brawn market in downtown Camden, which is a great small grocery store with local flavor and some unique items. Something like Fresh Approach or Legion Sq Market but a bit more upscale and modern, perhaps offering name brand staples along with an organic line like Field Day. It should have more of an emphasis on practical rather than precious offerings... it doesn't need a craft beer cave or endless shelves of wine. And as someone else said being open early and late would be ideal, something like 7am-10pm.

Back