The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

pearl_2.jpg

This project was proposed in the late 80's and the pyramid shaped roof would have been a great addition to the skyline! I'd have to dig through my materials to find the developer and it very well might have been the Liberty Group. Thanks to MartinS for the images.

View attachment 30418
This project was proposed in the late 80's and the pyramid shaped roof would have been a great addition to the skyline! I'd have to dig through my materials to find the developer and it very well might have been the Liberty Group. Thanks to MartinS for the images.

Based on that model, I believe that was proposed for this lot between Pearl and Silver Streets, not the larger lot on Middle.

1667857362987.png

Last edited:
There is so much repetition with the Bank of America signage on One Monument Square and One City Center which is puzzling. At last check BOA was not leasing any space in 1MS so I'm surprised to still see their branding atop the building and I'm guessing they are paying top dollar to keep it. Usually this privilege is reserved for the building's major tenant.

Last edited:
Remember BOA bought out Merrill Lynch, so the lettering was changed on the Casco Bank building to look different than the branch lettering. Merrill Lynch still has offices in Sacco Bank as well as branch offices in one city center.

I do miss the days when those were all actual headquarters buildings of local banks: Maine Savings, Portland Savings /Peoples Heritage, Casco, Canal, etc.

You are correct and I was only a block and a half off! :)

There was definitely a proposal for an even grander 10-story building on the Middle St. lot though. My former Muskie classmate, Sergio, who has since moved south, gave me the renderings for that one some time ago, which were / are posted on here somewhere. It also had a triangular roof.

I didn't take a photo but this building looks great from Ferryvillage all lit up.

Back