The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Thanks Portlander. Thought you were going to say "best photo of the year so far" and I'd accept that as well, hah. That shot was taken standing atop 10 feet or so of docks that are stacked up on the pier. Someday will invest in a drone to get shots a lttle higher up.

I love that "rustic" working waterfront building with the peeling paint and buckling roof. The holes in the building allow for a good nesting site and shelter for sea birds as well.

^ Coming from someone who cringes at the sight of "rustic" telephone poles and wires I'm guessing that you adding a dose of humor to the thread? :)

I love that "rustic" working waterfront building with the peeling paint and buckling roof. The holes in the building allow for a good nesting site and shelter for sea birds as well.
Take a cruise that goes along the working waterfront... there's a lot of rustic the further you get from Commercial St.

Take a cruise that goes along the working waterfront... there's a lot of rustic the further you get from Commercial St.

No thanks. I'd rather cruise North and look at natural beauty than the rotting manmade structures of Portland's past.

589E9FE7-0CEE-497D-A4E3-4F9DA948444A.jpeg

Looks good but little bummed it’s not a true curtain wall. Although this is probably better for energy performance. ~C

I know Portland's in no danger of overdoing this trend, but speaking as someone in Boston, curtain walls get old and actually can look more dated than traditional windows. If you stop and think about it, for every one tower with truly designed curtain walls (State Street HQ comes to mind), there are 9 curtain wall buildings that are just greenhouses slipped over banal structures.

Do we have any word on which businesses will be on the ground floor? Here is hoping for a Maine-based company!

Do we have any word on which businesses will be on the ground floor? Here is hoping for a Maine-based company!
Just made my first phone call Monday. Local is pretty important to us. Any ideas, thoughts on what folks would like to see here are always welcome. Throw them out! ~C

A grocery store would be great. An ideal situation would be if Shaw's (which started on Middle St.) could come up with a Roche Bros. style footprint, but that would require finding someone at Albertson's who has the imagination and a green light to do something out of the box, so that's probably out. But I'd look for everyday living stores like a grocer or Maine Hardware, rather than the esoterica that downtown already has in abundance.

And with a local brands only craft beer draft bar. Can they do that in Maine? Draft beer and sell packaged beer and spirits? Maybe they can split it into two sides, like Bissell did with the chicken place (an order window in the brewery--clever). Talk to the Bissell boys. They are smart beer bros, for sure. They even created their own distribution company to make more money--a lot more.

I like the idea a Maine craft beer tasting room. Maybe one that includes multiple local breweries in one space. Most breweries are off the peninsula or at least not that close to the Old Port, so that could be a huge hit downtown.

And with a local brands only craft beer draft bar. Can they do that in Maine? Draft beer and sell packaged beer and spirits? Maybe they can split it into two sides, like Bissell did with the chicken place (an order window in the brewery--clever). Talk to the Bissell boys. They are smart beer bros, for sure. They even created their own distribution company to make more money--a lot more.
Isn't that what the Portland Beer Hub does? The one next to Rosie's. I've never been in, but it looks like they retail and pour.

Back