The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

There's a spot on Cumberland where you can look right and see the gray ass end of Merrill and also look straight ahead and see the gray wall of concrete that is Franklin Tower - truly a stunning stretch of road.

I don't think it would be too expensive to improve its appearance with some horizontal banding to give it some contrast. An illuminated Merrill Auditorium sign might even help if placed on the top level facing the interstate.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be too expensive to improve its appearance with some horizontal banding to give it some contrast. An illuminated Merrill Auditorium sign might even help if placed on the top level facing the interstate.
Same goes for Franklin Tower - I'm sure PHA is underfunded but I would love if something could break up that concrete expanse.

I think I read somewhere recently that the PHA secured some funding to renovate Franklin Towers and/or add another building in the near future. Not sure what it entails but I'm betting the electrical system will be priority number one and I'm not sure what they could do to improve the exterior. New windows were added years ago which did help out some. I kind of just except the fact that Portland is not alone when it comes to these 1970's era high rises for the elderly and I've seen a few across the country that are even more hideous looking.

Last edited:

Agreed. It's a building for the arts....I'm sure that they can come up with ideas. How about musical notes, theater masks, etc painted on or affixed to the building? I think black on grey would look decent....they would have to be fairly large to make an impact.

images-2.jpeg
images.png

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere recently that the PHA secured some funding to renovate Franklin Towers and/or add another building in the near future. Not sure what it entails but I'm betting the electrical system will be priority number one and I'm not sure what they could do to improve the exterior. New windows were added years ago which did help out some. I kind of just except the fact that Portland is not alone when it comes to these 1970's era high rises for the elderly and I've seen a few across the country that are even more hideous looking.

Indeed they are on the PB agenda for 2/28 to discuss a rezoning that would facilitate "renovations" to Franklin Towers and allow for infill development on the building's parking area. In the materials on the portal PHA says that "The upcoming Franklin Towers renovation will make this landmark property more physically, financially, and environmentally sustainable," but there aren't any renderings or details beyond that. I can't imagine a major exterior facelift is in the budget, but anything they could do to spruce it up would be welcome. The infill development is intriguing but it doesn't sound like any proposals are imminent...

Great idea Jeff and by also including the illuminated signage at the top it would visually add some class to the structure. You should submit these ideas to the Mayor and the Director of the
Merrill_Logo 2.png

Last edited:
The alternative would be to put something nice and tall just on the other side of Wilmot. And if the Franklin St redesign ever happens, pick the option that would allow you to put something nice and tall on the other side of Franklin Tower - sandwich it :cool:

Last edited:
Agreed. It's a building for the arts....I'm sure that they can come up with ideas. How about musical notes, theater masks, etc painted on or affixed to the building? I think black on grey would look decent....they would have to be fairly large to make an impact.

View attachment 34558View attachment 34559

Along the 110 Harbor Freeway in downtown L.A. It celebrates the LA Chamber Orchestra there. Love it. Maybe something similar for the back of the Merrill?

overture4.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love it if they masked Franklin Tower in glass. It's just so hideous.
Or paint the concrete black. Or paint each rectangle a different color. Or divide some rectangles up into triangles and make a geometric pattern. Or... ??

With all of the telecommunication, radio, cell and other antennas on top of shorter neighboring buildings, I'm sure Redfern will be entertaining some lucrative offers for their own roof. (y)

Back