The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Hi,
The "last panel" refers to the last to be installed by the tower crane. The crane will come down in late May. But the material hoists (elevators) on the outside of the building will remain until the interior elevators are complete and approved for operation (hopefully around August). Only then can the hoists will be removed, and a mobile crane will come to install the remaining panels on the west facade. You will see in the coming days, work on the granite and brick "base" facade will begin. Currently we are on track to complete the building and move-in our first tenants around the first of next year (Jan 2024).

Jonathan
I appreciate the education! Thanks!

Love this:

"The developer said his aim was to have more units so he could lower the price point, with studios expected to rent for an average of $1,500, with prices varying by floor and view.

"This way we can rent to people who are making $40,000 to $50,000 a year," Culley said, rather than targeting a demographic making six figures or more."

Love this:

"The developer said his aim was to have more units so he could lower the price point, with studios expected to rent for an average of $1,500, with prices varying by floor and view.

"This way we can rent to people who are making $40,000 to $50,000 a year," Culley said, rather than targeting a demographic making six figures or more."
I remember when you wanted a new place, you searched for a two bedroom and a roommate to lower the cost. I don't think anyone really does that anymore. Share a place with a stranger? Another big change is with college housing. Gen Z (and soon Gen Alpha) insist on having their own room. And they get it. The configuration choices for the new USM dorm confirm this. They may share a bath, but not a room. No more walking in on your roommate shagging. Lol.

I remember when you wanted a new place, you searched for a two bedroom and a roommate to lower the cost. I don't think anyone really does that anymore. Share a place with a stranger? Another big change is with college housing. Gen Z (and soon Gen Alpha) insist on having their own room. And they get it. The configuration choices for the new USM dorm confirm this. They may share a bath, but not a room. No more walking in on your roommate shagging. Lol.
Same - it's very true. It's actually documented in the Harvard study on housing they release about the changing demographics/living situations and how that is creating a strain on housing. People are living alone and staying single longer than in generations past. ~ C

E063308C-78DC-4CEE-9E9C-3F5EC22212AC.jpeg

Same - it's very true. It's actually documented in the Harvard study on housing they release about the changing demographics/living situations and how that is creating a strain on housing. People are living alone and staying single longer than in generations past. ~ C
And that's why the building's community spaces are more important today. Your top floor community view space could be the best in Portland. And on one of the lower levels, perhaps next to the fitness room, a comfy lounge with a few tables and bar top along with a community coffee machine and light kitchen area. I recently lived in a building the same size in midtown Manhattan for 5 years, and the lounge with the coffee machine was key to community in our building. (It kept the rents a bit higher, but then that's not always a bad thing.) I can tell you which one to get too. We went through several failures. No surprise there.

Last edited:
Hey All:

Thought I would give you a little background on the naming of this building and how it transpired before the name gets out: While we were engaged with folks to come up with a name for the building I read the City of Portland's DEI report they had done by a consultant. One of the recommendations of the report is including more diversity when naming streets, parks, etc. At first I did sort of wonder if that was a superficial fix to a more complex problem. But then I got the list of names recommended for this building and it was indeed a list of the usual suspects: The Baxter, The Percival...etc and I was like oooohhhhh - this is why. It is about making vernacular we use more diverse therefore making diversity more commonplace. So we focused on the history of Portland in a different way that was more meaningful to the physical location of this building. Thought you all might appreciate a bit of the background info on the name! ~ C

My choice would be...
"The Abyssinian"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyssinian_Meeting_House

The city has neglected this important structure and meaning in history for years. At one time it was to be razed for a gas station. But perhaps too political a thing to do now. Or maybe not. There could still be the "House," and now the "Hi-Rise."

Last edited:
Portland already has a half-dozen buildings and a major thoroughfare named Baxter anyway; certainly didn't need another (and AFAIK the family had nothing to do with this one).

If they you name it the Algonquian will the ghost of Dorothy Parker show up to haunt it?

Last edited:
Resurgam is the Portland Motto.

Phoenix may work in reference to the great fire. I would prefer something indigenous for the "spirit of place" and history (and not just a casual shrug of a reference, a legitimate one).

Algonquian or Wabanaki Nation would fit. Abenaki, Mi'Kmaq, Maliseet, Passamaquoddy are more northern groups.

Portland was called Machigonne (Great Neck).

Local Rivers could fit - Penobscot, Presumpscot (but widely used already).

There may be names of Chiefs or Warriors that are part of the local history too?

This isn’t aimed at the developers but more of an observation. Look at the amount of time it has taken to build this 200 foot building in 2022-23. How the hell did cities like NYC get built to the scale it was decades and decades ago with no computers and whatnot? I get they went crazy putting up the Empire State, but there are hundreds and hundreds of buildings taller than Federal built in our grandparents and great grandparents days.

What’s sad is that this easily should have been another 5 stories taller withouT even triggering the worst of the local nimbys. From various angles it doesn’t even look like the tallest in skyline

Back