274 Franklin Street | Worcester

WormtownNative

Reaction score
Not sure if this counts for infill or warrants it's own thread, but the Worcester Planning Board has a proposal before it for a 421 unit, 6 story residential complex in what could be graciously described as what is currently industrial ruins.

274 Franklin 1.png

274 Franklin 2.png

274 Franklin 3.png

Overhead view of the current site, which is bounded by Franklin, Artic, & Plastics Streets. To the East and North is the CSX yard, to the south is an abandoned tractor trailer storage lot, and to the west is the Franklin St. Fire Station (site of the W6 tragedy), and the I-290 overpass. The current area is an industrial wasteland of old warehouses and factories. STREET VIEW FOR THE INTERESTED

274 Franklin 4.png

Architectural Plans

Site Plan

Did they grab the plans for Charlie Munger’s college dorm?

According to T&G they’ll preserve the nicer brick buildings on “Arctic Street” which appear to have offices these days.
Despite being hemmed in by I-290 and CSX rail/ containers it’s a pretty convenient location to downtown, canal district, and Shrewsbury street, everything walkable.
Perhaps that dumpy overgrown lot to the south of it could be converted into some needed green space.

This is like the 3rd time they are proposing something for this lot..hopefully this one sticks

I've only passed by once or twice on foot, but I assume that area must get noisy at night? CSX yard with trains, unloading containers, trucks entering and exiting, the elevated highway. Some noise reducing windows may be in order, and sound barriers of some sort.

The current atmosphere ranges from creepy to stabby
E0BF6756-46D6-4267-A710-9F64DF816DA7.jpeg
1389FD44-3BFE-4EC6-9D45-C71815CFB7DC.jpeg
123A2DCB-DA13-4271-BF67-68989D95023C.jpeg
4F9805AA-85E3-4B58-A60B-1A2C9C4B3E56.jpeg
08F7D180-2058-4DD4-9334-713857A37AD6.jpeg
BC9FADF1-4289-4F6E-A51F-AA0DBABDEA16.jpeg

These buildings will remain. The ground floor has manufacturing of some sort:
0AB61759-4F88-492C-A394-EE5E852B2F9E.jpeg

This building should provide many residents a view that cannot be found eleswehere - rows of multi-colored corrugated metal shipping containers.

Can't forget the side of I-290 at eye level either. (Then again, the kids at the EDGE Union Station get similar views)

I'm not going to lie, I was hopeful that the buildings could get renovated & redeveloped since I'm a fan of the faded signage on the side of them, but considering how long they've been vacant and exposed to the elements, they're probably too far gone. The other side of 290 in that area is far less bombed out, but the storefronts at the bottom of the Union Station Garage have been empty since it's been completed, and the auto shops don't make it any more attractive.

Can't forget the side of I-290 at eye level either. (Then again, the kids at the EDGE Union Station get similar views)

I'm not going to lie, I was hopeful that the buildings could get renovated & redeveloped since I'm a fan of the faded signage on the side of them, but considering how long they've been vacant and exposed to the elements, they're probably too far gone. The other side of 290 in that area is far less bombed out, but the storefronts at the bottom of the Union Station Garage have been empty since it's been completed, and the auto shops don't make it any more attractive.

Food hub rented out the union Station storefronts. They should be building out soon

Some new renderings. I think the scope of the project was slightly reduced (less units and 5 instead of 6 floors) but it's still massive:

arctic1.png
arctic2.png

Building permit was submitted for this one last month so maybe now it will finally begin

Back