41 Westland Ave Garage

Re: Developer plans $300M project for Fenway

That's the Symphony Garage (adjacent to the garage that has Whole Foods).

2ds23yr.png

Re: Developer plans $300M project for Fenway

Here...have another one!

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2011/02/fenway-condo-project-is-all-about-the.html

A Massachusetts firm registered to the chief financial officer of dairy giant HP Hood has submitted plans to convert a Boston parking garage into a 67,000-square-foot condo development.

The filing by Catamount Westland, a Lynnfield-based LLC registered to Hood CFO Gary Kaneb, among others, submitted the plans to the Boston Redevelopment Authority late Friday, Feb. 11. Among Catamount Westland?s other principals are Stephen Kaneb and Christopher Kaneb. The firm?s mailing address is 6 Kimball Lane in Lynnfield, the same location as HP Hood?s corporate headquarters.

The project would replace a 300-spot parking garage now standing at 41 Westland Avenue in Boston?s Fenway neighborhood. If approved by the BRA, the plan would require a number of zoning and permitting allowances to reach completion, according to Catamount?s letter.

Are they actually going to build a new building or just retrofit the existing brick garage?

I hope retrofit. It's a nice building and could make for some decent loftspace.

its a retrofit with a 1 story addition.

According to the letter, the project would add a 6,500-square-foot, one-story addition to the top of the building at 41 Westland Ave. In addition to the condos, the building would have 31 parking spaces.

Yourtown: Fenway

Ron -- Do you mean Boston's answer to the Guggenheim? It does serve another purpose, with the Whole Foods on the ground floor -- that place was mobbed last Friday night. There are far more egregious garages in Boston than this one...

Oh, I'd certainly want to keep the grocery store (maybe even expand it).

Where would symphony-goers park? Obviously, that's not the owner's problem, but it poses serious problems for the BSO and Fenway.

Where would symphony-goers park? Obviously, that's not the owner's problem, but it poses serious problems for the BSO and Fenway.
I know this is a matter of convenience, but there are so many other places to park. Maybe more will actually take the T too, especially since Symphony is the next to get elevators. Did we forget about that?

Just for example though, the Prudential Center garage has plenty of room to accommodate the 300 displaced vehicles. Chances are they'll end up somewhere around there for dinner or shopping anyways.

The BSO patrons will park in the chronically underutilized CSC Plaza garage. Which also happens to be where BSO season ticket holders already have their parking offered as part of the package.

The BSO patrons will park in the chronically underutilized CSC Plaza garage. Which also happens to be where BSO season ticket holders already have their parking offered as part of the package.

I honestly forgot that garage even existed. Proves how underutilized it is.

There's a parking garage at Christian Science? LOL

I'm sure somewhere in the back of my mind I knew this, but this is news to me.

Agreed that the above building is nice and I'm glad to see they're re-purposing it.

Rumor has it some BSO attendees also take taxis and limos in addition to their own cars.

But where do they do their pre-concert tailgating?

If I recall correctly, there was a proposal a couple years back to convert this garage to condos but it was shelved due to vocal opposition from members of the neighborhood who feared the loss of affordable parking spots. If this is the same garage, I think it was once owned by Children's Hospital. I'll see if I can find the old thread.

New Condos will bring Home Ownership to Fenway

Private investment / Total project cost: $15m

Total square footage: 68,000sq ft

Number of jobs:

construction jobs: 125
permanent jobs once built: 0

Housing: 48 loft condos

The Fenway area will now have more options for home ownership after the BRA board approved the $15million renovations of the existing Symphony Garage. This 68,000sq foot garage will be converted into 48 loft condos on 7 floors complete with 32 parking spaces, offering one of few ownership options in the Fenway area. The lower six (6) floors of the Proposed Project will involve the renovation of the existing Symphony Garage and the re-purposing of this existing structure from commercial parking to residential use and accessory residential parking. The top floor of the Proposed Project will consist of a newly constructed 6,500+/- square foot rooftop. This project is being developed by the Catamount Management Corporation.

The developer has chosen to buy out the 7 required affordable units at $200,000/ unit. $1.2m will be given to the Inclusionary Development Fund, a fund reserved for the maintenance and up-keep of affordable housing projects throughout the City of Boston.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...w-condos-will-bring-home-ownership-to-fenway/

If I recall correctly, there was a proposal a couple years back to convert this garage to condos but it was shelved due to vocal opposition from members of the neighborhood who feared the loss of affordable parking spots. If this is the same garage, I think it was once owned by Children's Hospital. I'll see if I can find the old thread.

The Fenway CDC apparently is in full shakedown mode now that the possibility of the gravy train from HUD being cut off. Developers looking at projects in the neighborhood are getting fairly annoyed.

Last edited:
The Fenway CDC apparently is in full shakedown mode now that the possibility of the gravy train from HUB being cut off. Developers looking at projects in the neighborhood are getting fairly annoyed.

THIS

Back