Erlang | 45 Forest Ave | Portland

Beheaded! @Redfern what's going to happen with the rest of the antenna support structure? Is it going to be the rooftop bar??

IMG_4922.JPG

I'll admit to some sadness; that tower has signified downtown Portland to me since my earliest childhood. I believe when I was very small, my parents had me do a photo session at a studio in that retail arcade alongside the Eastland ballroom. I remembered it enough that for years afterward, seeing that tower (the most obvious thing in the area] caused me to proclaim that that was where I'd had my picture taken!

Beheaded! @Redfern what's going to happen with the rest of the antenna support structure? Is it going to be the rooftop bar??

View attachment 25209
Yup. They are gone. Actually stumbled on a video of it somewhere on Reddit. Didn't even know they were coming down that day! No rooftop bar - if you saw the number of what I believe to be dead cat bones up there - you might agree!

Would actually like to get opinions on this. The structure I think will stay but want to re-paint it. Any feedback on Colors? ~C

Yup. They are gone. Actually stumbled on a video of it somewhere on Reddit. Didn't even know they were coming down that day! No rooftop bar - if you saw the number of what I believe to be dead cat bones up there - you might agree!

Would actually like to get opinions on this. The structure I think will stay but want to re-paint it. Any feedback on Colors? ~C
Repainting the structure as in the scaffolding in the above picture? If so, I'd get rid of it entirely.

Make it a beacon, something reflective and bright. Dayglow!

Paint it green and wrap it in LED Christmas lights. I'll pay for it (the lighting part). Worth it.

I'm not sure what the regulations are for the structure (or the funding...) but it would be awesome if you put out an RFP to artists in the city. I bet someone out there has a great idea about how to turn it into something that would make the skyline as unique as those antennas were. Like a giant version of the 'Hopeful' sign or something - I know, the funding. Maybe the public art committee would collaborate?

I'm not sure what the regulations are for the structure (or the funding...) but it would be awesome if you put out an RFP to artists in the city. I bet someone out there has a great idea about how to turn it into something that would make the skyline as unique as those antennas were. Like a giant version of the 'Hopeful' sign or something - I know, the funding. Maybe the public art committee would collaborate?
Just ... you know ... not "Tracing the Fore" shrapnel metal.

How about Giant Marquee letter "P" for Portland, or "ME"?

Back