The Armature | 52 Hanover St | Portland

These prices are truly stunning. I'm interested to see their leasing success rate. A quick glance at their website seems to show a lot of availability (understanding it may not be up to date).

That aside, the building looks immaculate. The actual footprint of the pool is much smaller than I imagined, anyone know what the dimensions are? There's no chance they're heating it through the winter right? I'm assuming it will be closed half the year.

These prices are truly stunning. I'm interested to see their leasing success rate. A quick glance at their website seems to show a lot of availability (understanding it may not be up to date).

That aside, the building looks immaculate. The actual footprint of the pool is much smaller than I imagined, anyone know what the dimensions are? There's no chance they're heating it through the winter right? I'm assuming it will be closed half the year.
I think one marketing plan they have is to get Roux and UM law students in here. I don't see them living in the new USM dorm, or as it was previously discussed. Also, Maine Med needs more housing for its internship program along with visiting scholars and doctors. They all have money or borrow it. Joe will give them a loan and they won't have to pay it back! Lol.

Grad students at UNE are also on their own for housing, at least for now, so that's another market.

Update: There are seven 2 BR units listed at $5,000 and above (monthly). The furnished one's price has now gone up to $5,900. I had a friend with a 2 BR apartment who lived in midtown Manhattan last year, in Kips Bay, which is one of the priciest neighborhoods for apartment living in Manhattan. He and his wife paid $5,800 per month, though unfurnished, with a stunning view of the city from the 19th floor. With Portland, it's not so much about generally less supply as it is that there is NO SUPPLY with features that people with money (under age 50) want or MUST HAVE for apartment living. If one has a family and works a big salary job in Boston, and can work much of it remotely from the Armature's dynamic co-working and private "phone booth" spaces, why not live here? Portland and its recreational attractions nearby are far more family friendly, yes? That's a HUGE lure. It's also the easy and work friendly 2-hour ride in Amtrak's business class. In NYC, many do or did commute up to 2 hours from the family friendly 'burbs for a high paying job in Manhattan. The work/live/commute dynamic has changed everywhere. I see only more growth for Portland because of how the much bigger cities have devolved in lifestyle. I have a friend who used to work in San Francisco years ago. He went back last week for a meeting and walked around downtown. He nearly cried on the phone describing to me his recent experience there.

San Francisco has gotten really really bad, if these secondary cities aren't careful they will make the same mistakes

Looks cool. The photos were obviously taken by a drone with its wide-angle lens. From this height, and a little further back, put Corey in a helicopter with his telephoto lens to bring the foreground, midground, and background closer together, and then show that photo to almost anyone in Maine and they would ask, "What city is that?"

DJI_0628.jpg
2023-10-27.jpg
DJI_0604.jpg
DJI_0619.jpg

Last edited:
That circle of plants
I think it has something to do with the idea of tribal celebration, this circular display with a firepit in the middle. Most or many of earth's indigenous peoples over time seemed to kind of sit or dance around a fire in the evening. Only now, The Armature group will engage in this nocturnal activity while scrolling and texting and taking selfies on their phones. Same but different.

Breaking my rule of not commenting on projects by other developers but I really do love the way these two projects relate on such a pedestrian scale with outdoor, communal programing. It warm and inviting. Want to see more of our built environment reflect these values! ~ C

Couple pictures from today of the pedestrian corridor.
Couple pictures from today of the pedestrian corridor. View attachment 47146View attachment 47145
Breaking my rule of not commenting on projects by other developers but I really do love the way these two projects relate on such a pedestrian scale with outdoor, communal programing. It warm and inviting. Want to see more of our built environment reflect these values! (Referencing these photos - to be clear!). ~ C

Back