The Smith | 660 Harrison Avenue | South End

IMG_9215 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_9216 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_9217 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_9218 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
Here is a shot from my window today of the project rising above the south end horizon. As a poor man's BeeLine, I hope i'm not bumping threads with random photos and creating expectations of more detailed updates.

4BDF43D2-9ED0-47D1-A631-6C8E903DDA95 by S S, on Flickr
Current photos are always a good reason to bump a tread. Thanks for sharing.

I would say, considering how difficult it is to get anything residential built in Boston neighborhoods without being cut down to shreds by the neighbors, that this development is very impressive.

I agree, but good luck. Most of the interiors of these neighborhoods are zoned for multi-family residential. Boston desperately needs to update its zoning so that we can move away from all large-scale developments being "special exceptions" that have to run the Zoning Board of Appeals back-scratching gauntlet. Unfortunately, most elected officials from Boston are moving in the opposite direction. My state rep, Denise Provost (D-Somerville) just posted this on Facebook:

IMG_86D5DF36F6E5-1.jpeg

There's this dissonance among a lot of the urban left that gets part of the housing crisis story correct, but then goes up the wall with blaming "market drivers" instead of understanding the complicated and governmental and cultural factors.

Her saying "out purely market-driven approach to housing production" is an amazing oversimplification. I get that she's meaning that the government should build more public/affordable housing units, but it really belies a lack of understanding.

Looks good.
But, a pity the sheets of brick facade can't be worked up to interlock.

IMG_7978 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7985 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7988 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7987 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7992 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7996 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8003 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
This building is Phase I of this mega project which now has an official name. "The Smith". To my knowledge the remaining phases have not been named . Maybe "The Jones", Just KIDDING!

IMG_7990 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7989 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

From this and other pictures, it looked more like the fire was on the building more than in it.

Back