80-110 West Broadway | South Boston

Equilibria

Reaction score
PNF (urban design on p.133):

1602194906922.png

1602194825903.png

1602194859494.png

When the program is described as “Research and development/office”, as it is here, does that mean it could be lab space? Are they leaving some wiggle room so that they can court biotech and non-biotech tenants?

Upon first glance, it appeared as if the Amrheins building was an abutter - it is in fact being preserved (and likely refurbished, I'm presuming), and the ground level will continue to serve as a restaurant for Amrheins.

Also, more CLT for Boston - encouraging to see

Upon first glance, it appeared as if the Amrheins building was an abutter - it is in fact being preserved (and likely refurbished, I'm presuming), and the ground level will continue to serve as a restaurant for Amrheins.

Best news of my day! Really great to see.

Are you certain of that? It looks like the BCDC was evaluating the larger proposal back in October. It shrank that much since then?

Are you certain of that? It looks like the BCDC was evaluating the larger proposal back in October. It shrank that much since then?
Yeah, that's the one in their most recent presentation on June 3rd: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/awm5nuszjre1wbya614q3mpoezepj2bg

I didn't go through the rest of the comment and presentations files starting in October, but I can guess most of the neighbors NIMBY'd about "too tall", "muh street parking", and "dEsTrOyiNg the neighborhood ChArAcTeR."

As a neighbor, having neighborly concerns, I would have been 100% okay with the height and massing of this project if this was multifamily

It's rather difficult to tell if they axed out timber. The 100' version was very clearly timber, and same with the 95' version, and the 65' version has elements that seem to suggest it is no longer (thicker horizontal metal mullions, darker glass, less timber structural elements (braces seen in the 100' and 95'), etc.). Also, the back side of this that was visible from A Street looks to be horribly VE-d. What was once brick appears to be metal panel now, and not done great.

Makes sense though. What are you gonna do when you ask a developer to chop off several thousand square feet. Pretty sad we can't hit 100' when we're a single block away from a T stop, office or residential.

This site as entitled is on the market for $25M. In reviewing the permits, R&D is expressly not allowed. The site is entitled for a niche product prototyping use but does not include any BSL entitlements. At $287/SF for the land, this won't get built as entitled.

This site as entitled is on the market for $25M. In reviewing the permits, R&D is expressly not allowed. The site is entitled for a niche product prototyping use but does not include any BSL entitlements. At $287/SF for the land, this won't get built as entitled.
I hope you are wrong as this would really extend the broadway station area and change the feel

$287 psf does seem like a lot for Southie. CancelEuclid, do you know what multifamily development goes for in Southie (per SF as entitled)? Genuinely asking - I don't know.

Back