800 Morrissey Blvd | Dorchester

Nice addition. This is right next to the red line but pretty far from fields corner. I wonder if theyll ever do an infill station here. Theres a pretty big chunk of dorchester right here that could be served by a new station.

Nice addition. This is right next to the red line but pretty far from fields corner. I wonder if theyll ever do an infill station here. Theres a pretty big chunk of dorchester right here that could be served by a new station.

The location of the Braintree Branch ROW that close to the river does leave a lot of empty space in the catchment area, but there's good density around there, and there looks like there would be room to re-configure the ROW to fit an infill station. Shouldn't have much in the way of operational impacts either, and the station spacing there is so wide there's a big service gap. Would probably be worth a study.

The location of the Braintree Branch ROW that close to the river does leave a lot of empty space in the catchment area, but there's good density around there, and there looks like there would be room to re-configure the ROW to fit an infill station. Shouldn't have much in the way of operational impacts either, and the station spacing there is so wide there's a big service gap. Would probably be worth a study.

Yeah, I think that has generally been right at the sweet spot/position for an infill station that has been discussed here (basically in the dunkins spot). Closer down towards Port Norfolk is the other leading contender.

Another render
p2%20800%20Morrissey%20REP%2047-21.jpg

“Dorchester residents will get a chance next month to weigh in on a massive development set for Morrissey Boulevard. The proposal for 800 Morrissey Boulevard, currently home to an “underperforming” Ramada hotel, calls for a six-story residential building, according to documents filed with city officials. The building would have 240 units, with about 104 studio units, 103 one-bedroom units, 25 two-bedroom units and 7 three-bedroom units. Thirty-five units will be designated for affordable housing….”
https://www.dotnews.com/2021/massive-800-morrissey-development-seeks-public-input

These developments all look identical. No matter whether they're in the city or suburbs, they're the same height, same design, same color palette. I don't know what the height limits here are but being as UMass Boston's new-ish dorms are taller than this, I'd say this is ridiculously small.

These developments all look identical. No matter whether they're in the city or suburbs, they're the same height, same design, same color palette. I don't know what the height limits here are but being as UMass Boston's new-ish dorms are taller than this, I'd say this is ridiculously small.

Ridiculously small? But its massiiive they say, maaaassssive! Serious note though: height and looks aside, am I the only one that hates setbacks and would want this to start forming a decent street wall on Morrissey? I'd think that's what we would want to go for on the whole thing along with DCR's redesign to make it less crazy/highway like. Start the street wall, encourage it, and get other developers on board and chip in for an infill redline station right there.

Start the street wall, encourage it, and get other developers on board and chip in for an infill redline station right there.

Plus one for the street wall and and infill Red Line station! I was looking around google maps after reading through this post this morning and the Red Line was my first thought. I know there have been ideas floated to move the Ashmont/Braintree Red Line split until after Savin Hill as part of making room for Old Colony double tracking. That would be a perfect time to add an infill station. There will have to be service disruptions on the Braintree branch to do this so, lets take advantage!

Welcome to 21st century development. This is the cheapest way to build residential, which is why you see it all over the country.

Ridiculously small? But its massiiive they say, maaaassssive! Serious note though: height and looks aside, am I the only one that hates setbacks and would want this to start forming a decent street wall on Morrissey? I'd think that's what we would want to go for on the whole thing along with DCR's redesign to make it less crazy/highway like. Start the street wall, encourage it, and get other developers on board and chip in for an infill redline station right there.
I like setbacks in certain locations but Morissey Blvd is not really a walking street, other than those who walk to UMass from the train station, so to me, it doesn't seem like having a street wall, setbacks or not, doesn't really make sense along such a big driving boulevard.

I like setbacks in certain locations but Morissey Blvd is not really a walking street, other than those who walk to UMass from the train station, so to me, it doesn't seem like having a street wall, setbacks or not, doesn't really make sense along such a big driving boulevard.

I guess my point is this could/should be the start of one as there is a ton for redevelopment on its length. Plus the redesign if I recall is making it much less car centric.

The Blvd is terrible but this building will have the bike trail running behind it to the beach or the Blue Hills

I'd love nothing more than to live in the middle of 17 parallel lanes of high speed traffic!

Back