Poet Hill Residences | 9 Hemans Street | Worcester

ctsketch

Reaction score
7-story 216 unit residential near gold star blvd in Worcester

9hemans.PNG

Last edited:
That’s gonna be a lot of cars going up some steep and narrow roads. If I’m not mistaken some of those roads both on the east and west sides of the hill are private and not paved at the moment.

That’s gonna be a lot of cars going up some steep and narrow roads. If I’m not mistaken some of those roads both on the east and west sides of the hill are private and not paved at the moment.

They're public, but you're right. It is a tight squeeze in spots and steep in some of the others. Not as bad as George Street, but it's anything but flat up there. If anything, I pictured someone building townhouses or more of the style of apartments found across the street from this parcel, not something this big. It is an isolated and neglected pocket of the city, and hopefully this means it will start to get some attention that it needs.

They're public, but you're right. It is a tight squeeze in spots and steep in some of the others. Not as bad as George Street, but it's anything but flat up there. If anything, I pictured someone building townhouses or more of the style of apartments found across the street from this parcel, not something this big. It is an isolated and neglected pocket of the city, and hopefully this means it will start to get some attention that it needs.

yeah the city likes to start suddenly start caring about the quality of the infrastructure of these areas once a big development happens

Wow. My grandfather used to own a house up there and it was a bit of a rough area then. This would be an awesome addition to the area. For context, here's what's up there now:
https://goo.gl/maps/SLH1jBdje9qFcezD7

It's still rough. It's just a handful of short streets wedged between commercial, industrial, highway, and a cemetery. At one time the Grove St. side actually abutted a small pond but that was filled in the 60's with commercial built on top. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit nicer long ago (and some of the remaining houses look like they were relative nice before falling into disrepair). Despite 290 being adjacent it doesn't seem to be one of the neighborhoods that was wrecked by it though, lots of rail was always there. What it does have going for it is the location is good in terms of highway access.

That Cemetery is Rural. It is beautiful. The mausoleums are extraordinary. There are 18th century tombstones. It's a really special place.

This does not seem terribly wise --

Worcester ZBA denies special permit for reduced parking at Hemans Street development

"Boghas hinted that the developer has explored the possibility of an alternative "by right" plan that would include 432 parking spaces, which meets the current two spaces per dwelling unit requirement.

But Boghos said his research predicted the development simply did not need that many spaces and that he would be building a garage that will be full of empty, expensive spaces. He said going ahead with plans that include 432 spaces would also change the size and aesthetics of the development and would reduce the amount of amenities the site could offer."

That is a neighborhood full of 1-3 family houses. And the hill is a beast when it snows. I know. I used to live there.

It's still rough. It's just a handful of short streets wedged between commercial, industrial, highway, and a cemetery. At one time the Grove St. side actually abutted a small pond but that was filled in the 60's with commercial built on top. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit nicer long ago (and some of the remaining houses look like they were relative nice before falling into disrepair). Despite 290 being adjacent it doesn't seem to be one of the neighborhoods that was wrecked by it though, lots of rail was always there. What it does have going for it is the location is good in terms of highway access.
Not so awesome. It is the apartment complexes that have made it "rough"

Not so awesome. It is the apartment complexes that have made it "rough"

The apartment complexes? As in plural? Didn't you just say it was a neighborhood of 1-3 family houses? Sounds like it is a neighborhood of apartment complexes too

This building will double the number of apts and CARS on a neighborhood ill-equiped to handle it

This building will double the number of apts and CARS on a neighborhood ill-equiped to handle it

guess the city will have to improve some of the infrastructure around there then.

guess the city will have to improve some of the infrastructure around there then.
The houses are already pretty close to the road. And I am sure that the developer will pay any mitigation costs(sarcasm)

Back