Abandonment of the Commuter Rail's Rockport Branch

BostonUrbEx

Reaction score
sery2831 said:
Due to recent ridership decline and budget gaps, the Rockport Branch will be abandoned July, 1, 2010. With two draw bridges, and recent flooding, the branch can no longer be supported in the MBTAs budget. Public meeting will be planned in Manchester By The Sea and Gloucester. The MBTA does acknowledge the stress this will put on the Newburyport Line. Also effective July, 1, 2010 the MBTA will officially reintroduce double deckers to North Station. And service improvements will be made to the Newburyport Line as well as new CATA bus service to the area. A study will also be funded to see if the branch can be converted into a Bus Rapid Transit feeder line operated by CATA.

For the latest information about Massachusetts transportation, visit the MassDOT blog at http://www.mass.gov/blog/transportation or follow MassDOT on twitter at http://twitter.com/massdot.

Connect with the MassDOT Developers on Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/MassDOTdev.

- http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=70664

I lurk at that forum quite a bit. He puts up something lame like that every year. But this one is particularly odd for him, since it mentions BRT. Usually the moment somebody mentions anything on tires he locks the thread and admonishes the poster for not sticking to the forum topic that is rail transit.

I lurk there too. I'd be really scared to ever post there.

Same with the lurking. I also noticed that they don't really let the discussion continue when there is no new news. Its either comment on the news or don't post.

very annoying.

I also lurk over there once in a while. If someone else had posted this lame joke, then he'd go off on the guy.

Same with the lurking. I also noticed that they don't really let the discussion continue when there is no new news. Its either comment on the news or don't post.

very annoying.

They had a recent "complain about this website thread" where 99% of the posters complained that too many threads were being locked for no reason and discussion was being killed.

Hopefully, the moderators read the thread and will back off. I think it's the most frustrating forum on the internet.

Yeah I stopped reading/posting there a long time ago. Too ridiculous.

I got nailed for breaking the policy on mentioning an Amtrak fare until after the travel date has passed unless the rate was published by Amtrak in an advertisement of some sort. (No, I understand that rule either)

There was a thread discussing a ticket sale. An ad for round-trip tickets was cited. No problem there.

I made the terrible mistake of pointing out what a deal it was, because if the cost of the ticket was X, that meant the price each way was Y.

My post was deleted and I got chewed out in private by a mod. When I tried to point out that I was simply dividing the ticket price by 2, I was reminded of the rule against mentioning unpublished fares. I told him I was just... using math. Again, I was yelled at for breaking the rule because the fare wasn't published.

*FACEPALM*

I lurk at that forum quite a bit. He puts up something lame like that every year. But this one is particularly odd for him, since it mentions BRT. Usually the moment somebody mentions anything on tires he locks the thread and admonishes the poster for not sticking to the forum topic that is rail transit.

I am a bus/ all modes of transit fan. Being the moderator of the forum on RR.net does not mean I do not enjoy discussions about those modes of transportation. The web site is set up for rail related topics only. I am sorry for those I have offended while moderating, please do not take it personal.

As for locking topics for no reason makes me mad. Any topic locked most certainly has had a reason. If you feel your posts were locked for no reason, please tell me. All locked topics have the reason for the lock in the last post.

As for the April fools joke, I try to give some people a laugh. I guess most people on these boards have no humor in them.

I am a bus/ all modes of transit fan. Being the moderator of the forum on RR.net does not mean I do not enjoy discussions about those modes of transportation. The web site is set up for rail related topics only. I am sorry for those I have offended while moderating, please do not take it personal.

As for locking topics for no reason makes me mad. Any topic locked most certainly has had a reason. If you feel your posts were locked for no reason, please tell me. All locked topics have the reason for the lock in the last post.

As for the April fools joke, I try to give some people a laugh. I guess most people on these boards have no humor in them.

Im surprised to see you here.

I just wish the RR.com forums could operate similar to this one. Go ahead, try and FIND a locked thread. When something goes terribly off topic, the posts are split up and given a new home, but the discussion is never ended.

Yes, RR.com obviously focuses on trains while this forum is much broader, but when talking about something like the MBTA it's very hard, in fact at some points impossible to keep the discussion 100% related to trains. It's much easier to do so when talking about metro north for example, which only operates trains.

Hi Serry

A lot of discussions move onto interesting tangents and that's when you step in and warn that a lock is coming. More often than not, you don't need to actually lock the thread -- the warning is enough to kill it. That's why I don't register there.

I should cut you some slack on the April Fools jokes I suppose, but the moderation stifles discussion. That's the way I see it, and I suspect the way quite a few other people see it. Now this is a different board, please feel welcome to discuss transit with us, along with the variety of other planning and urban topics. But it's probably not the place to further debate railroad.net.

Again, welcome to archboston, I look forward to reading your thoughts on some of the other topics we have going.

I am interested in getting to look at some discussions here when I have time. I can offer this one view on rr.net. The forum is really geared to chat about the Commuter Rail(my work) and not the subway, but it is allowed to discuss light/heavy rail. I have not had to lock many threads lately, but I do merge threads since many people start duplicate conversations constantly.

Back