Addressing the housing crisis

I mean, it's kind of implied, don't you think? More SPED students means more cost. The population of SPED students in Boston is growing, therefore the costs are growing.
For the 18-19 school year to the 22-23 school year (latest I could see information for) the overall population decreased 8.7% and the SPED population increased 7.6%. Overall in Mass, student population is down 4.2% and SPEd population is up by 4.8%. So I still don’t see why Boston’s costs are increasing RELATIVE to other districts.

So I still don’t see why Boston’s costs are increasing RELATIVE to other districts.
Just using the growth rate differential, you don't see why that would happen? If Boston has a faster growing population of more expensive to educate students, Boston is going to have a larger growth in per student costs. It's just math.

Just using the growth rate differential, you don't see why that would happen? If Boston has a faster growing population of more expensive to educate students, Boston is going to have a larger growth in per student costs. It's just math.
But also a faster decreasing percentage of students overall, so no, I don’t. You take one statistic and make that the sole reason for cost increases. You’re ignoring excessive bus routes, excess half used buildings they won’t shut, excessive administrators and overhead etc.

Finally California stepping up and allowing the illegal immigrants to purchase housing with taxpayers money. Our great leaders at work.

I think this solves the cost of living crisis and American homelessness going on in the country.

Good policy. This assistance would only go to people who are working, paying taxes and are sufficiently established to check all the boxes to qualify for financing.

-Came across some actual good news that seems to contradict some of the other things that have been reported, either that or its a case of depending on how you read data you can get many different answers, idk.

Apartment construction surges nationwide​

1724977335907.jpeg

“U.S. apartment construction is expected to hit a historic high of more than 500,000 new units this year, a new study from RentCafe found.

The influx represents a 9% increase compared to last year and a 30% jump from 2022.

Boston ranked No. 19 among major metro areas, with more than 8,000 apartments expected to be completed in 2024.

The study projects that nationwide, more than 2 million new apartments will hit the market by 2028. The rate of apartment building, though, is expected to dip from 2025 through 2027…..”

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2024/08/15/apartment-construction-surges-nationwide/

More detail from that article from a different source. Interestingly at least in the current year some suburbs are adding multifamily housing at much higher levels than Boston on a per capita basis:

It tracks with the “feeling” and the eye test that going around boston for the last 1-2 years there has been more construction going on than anytime Ive ever seen before. It has definitely winded down as of late as many of the projects have been completed, but 1 year ago no matter where you went in the city there were multiple buildings under construction in every square in every neighborhood. Those would have come on line this year so it makes sense. Next year there will probably be a noticeable drop as less buildings come on line that are currently u/c right now, but hopefully after that theres another boost due to the interest rate dropping in september which hopefully has more buildings start moving through approvals next year and start construction in 26-27.

But also a faster decreasing percentage of students overall, so no, I don’t. You take one statistic and make that the sole reason for cost increases. You’re ignoring excessive bus routes, excess half used buildings they won’t shut, excessive administrators and overhead etc.
I thought you were talking about per student costs, were you not?

-Came across some actual good news that seems to contradict some of the other things that have been reported, either that or its a case of depending on how you read data you can get many different answers, idk.

Apartment construction surges nationwide​

View attachment 54730

“U.S. apartment construction is expected to hit a historic high of more than 500,000 new units this year, a new study from RentCafe found.

The influx represents a 9% increase compared to last year and a 30% jump from 2022.

Boston ranked No. 19 among major metro areas, with more than 8,000 apartments expected to be completed in 2024.

The study projects that nationwide, more than 2 million new apartments will hit the market by 2028. The rate of apartment building, though, is expected to dip from 2025 through 2027…..”

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2024/08/15/apartment-construction-surges-nationwide/
This is good news for Boston. At current residents per unit rates, that will be enough to house 18,000 people which is probably enough to keep up with demand, maybe even lighten the pressure a bit. For the US as a whole, though, it's bad news. That's enough new housing for about 0.4% of the population. Last year, growth was over 0.5%, so I don't think 500,000 units per year is adequate.

Man, I don't know if I'm more impressed by metro Boston's 8000 units under construction or appaulled by GREATER LOS ANGELES only putting up 9000 lol. Some things surprise me less like Dallas out building NYC 3:1 per capita

Man, I don't know if I'm more impressed by metro Boston's 8000 units under construction or appaulled by GREATER LOS ANGELES only putting up 9000 lol. Some things surprise me less like Dallas out building NYC 3:1 per capita
I don't know where they got Los Angeles numbers but they are likely wrong. California Gov website reported that 20k new housing units are expected to be built in Los Angeles proper alone in 2024. Of which, 13k are MDUs (5+ units)
LA County as a whole is adding 32k housing units, of which 17k are MDUs

Given LA's sprawls, they probably have a higher proportion of new housing units built that are NOT apartments or MDUs so this paints a somewhat limited perspective.

I don't know where they got Los Angeles numbers but they are likely wrong. California Gov website reported that 20k new housing units are expected to be built in Los Angeles proper alone in 2024. Of which, 13k are MDUs (5+ units)
LA County as a whole is adding 32k housing units, of which 17k are MDUs

Given LA's sprawls, they probably have a higher proportion of new housing units built that are NOT apartments or MDUs so this paints a somewhat limited perspective.
That's good to hear, but now makes me question the rest of the list 🤷

Back