Moderna Science Center | 325 Binney Street | Kendall Square

9/23/23:

20230923_134132.jpg

IMG_5901.jpeg

Skyline is starting to look a little layered which is cool. I wonder how long the abandoned building next to it will last. It’s really a pleasant building to look at in person. Would love any kind of first floor activation nearby though, I think the only restaurant near here is a sweet green, though I guess when your salary is high enough that restaurant starts tasting better. I do wonder where all the Moderna employees will eat.

Skyline is starting to look a little layered which is cool. I wonder how long the abandoned building next to it will last. It’s really a pleasant building to look at in person. Would love any kind of first floor activation nearby though, I think the only restaurant near here is a sweet green, though I guess when your salary is high enough that restaurant starts tasting better. I do wonder where all the Moderna employees will eat.
I agree that there is now appearing to be a layered build-up to Kendall Sq. from the residential neighborhood. Regarding restaurants, there are a actually a bunch of them a few steps away in the One Kendall complex next door (Area 4 Coffee (small sibling to the bigger one in Kendall), Mamaleh's Deli, State Park, Smoke House BBQ, Cambridge Brewing, Gracie's). Those are all closer than the Sweet Green. That said, I'm 100% with you on wishing for more street level activation in the adjacency to this building. Secondly, the derelict 1-story building you're referring to has been the subject of multiple non-started projects, one of which was to be the site of the electrical substation that is now going underground next to the new Boston Properties towers (this was shut down due to being across from a school), and it has also been the proposed site of a residential development (circa 2016) that was never started (see here: https://www.cambridgema.gov/specialpermits/pb313).

I agree that there is now appearing to be a layered build-up to Kendall Sq. from the residential neighborhood. Regarding restaurants, there are a actually a bunch of them a few steps away in the One Kendall complex next door (Area 4 Coffee (small sibling to the bigger one in Kendall), Mamaleh's Deli, State Park, Smoke House BBQ, Cambridge Brewing, Gracie's). Those are all closer than the Sweet Green. That said, I'm 100% with you on wishing for more street level activation in the adjacency to this building. Secondly, the derelict 1-story building you're referring to has been the subject of multiple non-started projects, one of which was to be the site of the electrical substation that is now going underground next to the new Boston Properties towers (this was shut down due to being across from a school), and it has also been the proposed site of a residential development (circa 2016) that was never started (see here: https://www.cambridgema.gov/specialpermits/pb313).

Good post. There is also Ernest's and Vincent's, both right around the corner for after-work fare.

Unfortunately Vincent's closed permanently at the end of February.

I didn't know this. That's a bummer--I wasn't the biggest fan of their food, but it was an eclectic place and great anchor to that street corner. Hope something can replace it.

I didn't know this. That's a bummer--I wasn't the biggest fan of their food, but it was an eclectic place and great anchor to that street corner. Hope something can replace it.
Yeah, that was why I'd left it off my list above. However, per an owner's post cited in Boston Restaurant Talk, the owners plan to reopen something else in the space:

These same owners have now relaunched a couple of times in this space. No doubt the pandemic shuffled things, but still not sure why all the pivots. The Cafe du Pays circa 2017 was a winner in my book. Hopefully they come up with something good and proceed with the reboot as claimed.

Back