All-in-One Cards

statler

Reaction score
The Globe said:
Turnpike floats idea of total access transportation pass
Email|Print| Text size ? +
February 26, 2008

BOSTON?Massachusetts Turnpike Authority officials are floating the idea of a "one-size-fits-all" device that could pay for everything from MBTA rides to highway tolls and parking at government facilities.
more stories like this

The turnpike's executive director, Alan LeBovidge, says the agency is accepting bids from firms to create those links through through changes to its toll collection system.

LeBovidege tells the Boston Herald he'd like to see one device take care of all of a person's transportation needs.

The Turnpike currently offers Fast Lane transponders for tolls, while the MBTA has the CharlieCard.

Transit and turnpike officials have met to discuss ways to link the systems, but the availability of technology is unknown.

LeBovidge says the turnpike also wants to create pre-paid toll passes similar to a phone card.
Link

How about making an "all in one" card for the entire MBTA first? I can't use my Charlie Card on the commuter rail at all. In fact, I don't even have a Charlie Card; I just use tickets. I'm not sure why that two-tiered system exists, either.

MassPike has the added challenge of needing to remain compatible with the rest of the large, multi-state EZPass system.

This might be easier if Gov. Patricks plan to combine all the agencies into one transportation agency went through. But I still don't know if that is a good idea.

How about making an "all in one" card for the entire MBTA first? I can't use my Charlie Card on the commuter rail at all. In fact, I don't even have a Charlie Card; I just use tickets. I'm not sure why that two-tiered system exists, either.

yea that system I dont get... its easy to get away w/o paying... its outdated... (although I'm unsure how other commuter rail systems run theirs)

I'd like to see them close some loopholes so they can make some more money... I love how cheap the T is and I wanna see it stay that way. Charlie card was a step in the right direction.

I know I bitch about bringing up San Fran, but my sister lives there and was talking about how the BART is 6 bucks and how it makes an impact on the type of jobs she can take and the pay scale, because its just not worth it. (even though she's 75% to a PhD. english major. sucker)

Sort of unrelated question: I have a monthly link pass, I use it only on weekends (school in Maine, remember?), but I leave it to my mother who's a town selectman and does political work for Sam Sutter (Bristol County D.A.), as well as being head of the Freetown Democratic Society (a lofty rank, I know) and is in and out of the State House at least twice a week and sometimes travels with a companion (sometimes I do too).

When you scan the card, is there a waiting period before it'll work again, or could I pass the card back over the gate to my friend? I haven't tried yet, but it would save a few bucks for any buddy I'm with at the moment. I sort of assumed that there would be like a 5 minute or 10 minute wait before the card is active again, but it would be great if there wasn't. It's a dumb question, but does anyone know?

Back on topic: an All-in-one for the MBTA would be great... It would be nice to be able to go from the subway to CR or boat on the same card. At least make it so the charlie card or ticket could work on both the subway and CR in zone 1A (it's the same price, $1.70).

You have to wait 20 minutes before using the pass a second time at the same station -- exactly to prevent what you're trying to do ;-)

You can buy a Zone 1A pass instead of a LinkPass for the same price ($59). It is good everywhere the LinkPass is, plus on the harbor ferry and Zone 1A commuter rail. The downside is that it's on a CharlieTicket rather than a CharlieCard.

Have they ever explained why the can have hand-held readers for the green line (though I haven't seen them in a while) but they can't use them on the CR?

Maybe the scanners are heavy and the conductors don't want to carry them around all day and are waiting for a lighter version?

One possible reason: the Green Line has a single fare for everyone, $1.70, regardless of distance. The commuter rail has 8 different zone fares, plus 8 other (lower) "interzone" fares for people who are travelling between pairs of suburban stations.

they do have hand held readers on the green line. i have only seen it at coolidge corner during morning rush hour. mbta worker stands at the station and scans charlie cards as people are waiting. when the train arrives people who have already scan can enter at any door, people with tickets or cash enter at the front

One possible reason: the Green Line has a single fare for everyone, $1.70, regardless of distance. The commuter rail has 8 different zone fares, plus 8 other (lower) "interzone" fares for people who are travelling between pairs of suburban stations.

It's pretty much an honor system now. If I am going to Lowell, what's to stop me from buying a ticket for Wedgemere and riding all the way to Lowell? They do put seat checks in sometimes, but usually only on inbound trains (or between the terminal station and a close urban station, IE Between BON and Porter Sq). Maybe what they should do is just put seat checks for people with Charlie Card and have those who use tickets keep them as POP.

It should be an easy tech fix.
The rider tells the conductor what stop, the conductor presses the appropriate zone button on the scanner and the card is either deducted the proper amount or simply marked as scanned (in cases of monthly link passes.) Seems simple to me, I must be missing something.

It should be an easy tech fix.
The rider tells the conductor what stop, the conductor presses the appropriate zone button on the scanner and the card is either deducted the proper amount or simply marked as scanned (in cases of monthly link passes.) Seems simple to me, I must be missing something.

Visibly keeping track of who paid and who didn't so they know who to go to when passengers get off and others get on further down the line.

Just put a small ticket on the seat like they do it now.
Plus if there is a question the Carlie Card can be rescanned to prove it one way or the other. They'll probably save money in the long term.

I'd like to see a Charlie Card that works similar to the EZPass (they send you a bill every month) with the option to use it as debit, that works on the T, Harbor Ferry, CR, Bus, Silverline, parking at MBTA locations...everything MBTA basically. Then, if the transit agencies are streamlines, you could use it at meters, tolls, everything. Instead of being a card, it would probably something like a Mobil speedpass though.

Back