Amazon Office II/SeaPAC | 1 Boston Wharf Rd. (Seaport Sq Parcel L5) | Seaport

All of the windows on the lower floors are being put in pane by pane and framed in place. On the Congress St side it looks like the first of the green terra cotta facade is going up. Still more to enclose but it seems that facade work and materials are ready. Hoping the envelope will completed soon.

IMG_1157.jpeg
IMG_1156.jpeg

Best New Building of 2024.
- Refreshingly distinctive facade treatment.
- Extends the pedestrian spine of Harbor Way, including new public open space.
- Introduces state-of-the-art performing arts center to a neighborhood thirsty for new cultural spaces.
- Replaces a parking lot.
- Provides continuity to the street wall and urban fabric across multiple routes between Fort Point and Seaport.

I love this building - - -but to me it's the SECOND Best New Building of 2024 within a couple of blocks! The BGI Tower (with the archways and spectacular green/parklike raised walkways) a few blocks away finishes in Q4. THAT would be mine.
However, without a doubt, the Seaport has truly raised the bar lately.

Last edited:
I love this building - - -but to me it's the SECOND Best New Building of 2024 within a couple of blocks! The BGI Tower (with the archways and spectacular green/parklike raised walkways) a few blocks away finishes in Q4. THAT would be mine.
However, without a doubt, the Seaport has truly raised the bar lately.
Amen. And only 5-10 min on the Silver Line to Logan. Where else in the world can you find a ridiculously short connect from a dynamic tech/work district to an airport that flies direct to all the key cities in the world? Prepare for greatness.

How are buildings designed to merit the label of "Life-science"? Are these just office buildings with supplemental power and cooling to support lab space but they are tagged with the catch-phrase of life-science to increase the price-per-square-foot? Having said that, I think the design / architecture of this building is vastly superior to most of the buildings in the Seaport. I especially appreciate the archways.

Last edited:
How are buildings designed to merit the label of "Life-science"? Are these just office buildings with supplemental power and cooling to support lab space but they are tagged with the catch-phrase of life-science to increase the price-per-square-foot? Having said that, I think the design / architecture of this building is vastly superior to most of the buildings in the Seaport. I especially appreciate the archways.
My understanding is a big part of the design is major upgrades in the HVAC systems, including high capacity, filtered ventilation for lab hoods. The ventilation requirements make it challenging to construct life sciences lab buildings taller than 10 stories (or you put them on top of something else).

Life Science buildings also tend to have enhanced loading docks, and more vertical circulation (freight elevators) than office buildings.

The sandwiched design at 10 World Trade is unusual (and likely costly).

Last edited:
As of 1/21/24
Looks like they are about to lower the crane.

Attachments

• IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2566.JPG
    IMG_2566.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2568.JPG
    IMG_2568.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2573.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2567.jpg
    IMG_2567.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2570.JPG
    IMG_2570.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 147
My understanding is a big part of the design is major upgrades in the HVAC systems, including high capacity, filtered ventilation for lab hoods. The ventilation requirements make it challenging to construct life sciences lab buildings taller than 10 stories (or you put them on top of something else).

Life Science buildings also tend to have enhanced loading docks, and more vertical circulation (freight elevators) than office buildings.

The sandwiched design at 10 World Trade is unusual (and likely costly).
Link is to is a checklist of how life sciences buildings differ from standard commercial office buildings.

https://www.solutionsgc.com/10-key-features-of-next-generation-life-science-buildings/

Several excerpts
In life science experiments, employees use high-risk equipment and chemicals. The disposal of such hazardous waste needs to be done by following proper rules and regulations. Apart from precautionary procedures and personal protective equipment, space allotment is also a crucial factor.

Life sciences companies rely heavily on chemical delivery and waste pickup services. To prevent cross-contamination, proper handling may require more than one loading dock, depending on the research material. There must be enough space around loading docks for storage and incoming/outgoing supplies and waste. The infrastructure of the life sciences building should allow for clean distribution of air and space.

Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) systems are the largest investment in a life science project (30%-50% of total construction cost), making them more expensive to retrofit than to build initially. Electrical and plumbing systems can be designed with additional capacity ( 25% or more) to allow for future growth and expansion with low upfront first costs. The labs designed for these buildings will be suitable for both wet and dry research.

10 World Trade still has a crane. Though probably not for much longer.

Please open that strip of park soon so its all connected and actually of use, I think it will be huge for the whole area. Even if its just a shabby scaffolding covered walkway it'd be fine for a while

Back