AMTRAK's INFRASTRUCTURE MASTER PLAN

Thanks for getting to the goods. I haven't read it yet but do they talk about funding?

Looks like proposed routes (Amtrak or T?) from Boston to New Haven and Concord, NH as well, in addition to a Downeaster extension to Brunswick, ME.

No hope of the North-South link. Shame...

I think it's apparent from this that the eventual NEC to Montreal will be going via the Hudson valley.

EDIT: By the way, the Greenbush line was left out on their map of the commuter rail links. ;)

Amtrak already runs from Boston to New Haven; are they proposing a new route for this service?

Yes, sorry for not being more specific - it would be an "inland route" via Springfield. It looks like they eventually want to route Acela this way to improve speeds, too... (so much for the beautiful ocean views)

It also listed the North-South connector as a long term project, so I'm not sure whether it's still on the table or if this whole thing is a pipe dream.

Issues
Major Issues
The two‐track NEC Main Line will need to accommodate significant increases in intercity and commuter rail services. Capacity utilization at South Station, Back Bay and Route 128 stations are already greater than 75%, without improvements. By 2030 virtually the entire railroad from Attleboro to South Station will be over 100% capacity. South Station and Southampton Yard are also at capacity. Lack of storage capacity at Southampton Yard requires trains to be stored on platforms, further limiting capacity at South Station. Intercity train passing locations are limited and are necessary to provide additional capacity and improve NEC North End trip‐times. Portions of the terminal track are not electrified, further limiting operating flexibility for intercity services. A study of Boston South Station operations and infrastructure is proposed as a next step in the Master Plan
Specific projects and proposed funding (over 20 years):

Boston Terminal Storage and Capacity Improvements $286m

South Station and Southampton Street Yard are at capacity. Additional terminal capacity will be needed to accommodate 2030 service levels and equipment needs. These plans include initiating MBTA commuter service to Fall River/New Bedford and adding intercity trains to the ʺInland Route? between Boston South Station and Springfield. Short‐term plans call for adding up to six station tracks at South Station, undertaking a full Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the proposed North‐South Rail Link and initiating a terminal capacity study similar to those currently underway in New York and Washington.

Attleboro Line Congestion and Capacity Improvements $384m

Capacity utilization analysis undertaken as part of the Master Plan process indicates that much of the line from Boston to Attleboro will be over capacity by 2030. Major components of this program include the addition of third track north and south of the Canton Viaduct in the vicinity of Route 128 Station, Sharon and Mansfield. These projects will help bridge a two‐track section in what is otherwise a predominately three-track railroad. Electrification of main line tracks and sidings will improve infrastructure utilization and facilitate fully electric commuter operations in the long‐term. High platforms would be installed at a number of stations, including Ruggles Street, Hyde Park, Readville, Sharon, Canton Junction, Mansfield and Attleboro, to further improve infrastructure utilization through decreased boarding times.

List of future proposals considered and not considered.
MBTA services on the NEC Main Line will increase modestly with two to four additional peak period trains (one or two daily round trips) for each line. By 2030, South Station will need to accommodate approximately 376 intercity and commuter trains, 40 trains (20 round trips) during the peak period, an increase of 10 peak trains (five round trips) over current levels.

Amtrak?s 2030 plans call for increases in service between Boston and New York, from 38 daily trains (19 round trips) to 48 trains (24 daily round trips), providing hourly Acela Express and near hourly Regional services throughout the day. Five additional trains are projected to operate out of Boston over the ?Inland Route? through Worcester to Springfield and New Haven. Amtrak is also planning up to 30 minutes of trip‐time improvements between Boston and New York by 2030 which will benefit from proposed additional passing capability on this segment to maintain existing levels of reliability for all users.

 Massachusetts is finalizing plans for South Coast Rail commuter service to Fall River and New Bedford, MA. Route alternatives under consideration are an Attleboro alignment, which would significantly affect NEC operations, and a Canton Junction alignment that would have a lesser impact.

 Rhode Island is preparing to initiate South County Commuter Rail service, including 16 trains (eight daily round trips) from Providence to Warwick (TF Green Airport) and Wickford Junction by 2011 operated under contract with MBTA.

 Amtrak, Massachusetts and Connecticut are developing a service plan for ?Inland Route? service between Boston and New Haven via Worcester and Springfield. The Massachusetts alignment (along MBTA and CSXT‐owned lines) is part of the federally‐designated Northern New England High‐Speed Rail Corridor. The Amtrak‐owned Springfield to New Haven continuation of the segment would be electrified with significantly expanded intercity and commuter service.

Long‐term potential service improvements not reflected in forecasts, include:

 The North‐South Rail Link, previously proposed, connecting Boston?s North and South Stations.

 Rhode Island plans to extend South County Commuter Rail service to the Rhode Island/Connecticut line by 2030 with potential stations in Pawtucket/Central Falls, Cranston, East Greenwich, West Davisville, Kingston, and Westerly.

 New passenger service from Providence to Woonsocket with connections to the NEC north of the proposed Pawtucket/Central Falls Station.

 MBTA Fairmont Line (Dorchester Branch) to be rehabilitated with four new stations and expanded service.

 MBTA Middleborough Line extension to Cape Cod.

Last edited:
Amtrak already runs from Boston to New Haven; are they proposing a new route for this service?

I looks like they are just upgrading the line. Does Amtrak own the rail from Springfield to Boston? I thought CSX owned that.

Downeaster to Brunswick is already in progress too. I think it opens within the next year or two.

I've said before and I'll say it again. South Coast rail is going through Stoughton. I know Attleboro is an "option" (as is Middleboboro) but it's already been disregarded, just not officially yet (in the next few months though). Also, a large chunk of the cost of that project is associated with expanding South Station... something that can't happen until the adjacent post office facility is acquired.

I looks like they are just upgrading the line. Does Amtrak own the rail from Springfield to Boston? I thought CSX owned that.
AMTRAK does not own any of this trackage. I believe the Commonwealth is buying / has bought the tracks between Boston and Worcester, with the intention of double tracking all of this particular section.

Back