An Early Affordable House

EdMc

Reaction score
Thread Expired

Last edited:
Like Alanis, I'm a little fuzzy on the true definition of ironic but I think one of the richest people in the world buying a Usonian house and making it a museum that nobody lives in might qualify?

^ Quite so.

IIRC, Wright's Gordon House (in Oregon) bears some familial resemblance to the Bachman-Wilson House, the key difference being the orientation of the upstairs bedrooms.

I've heard about this Usonian/FLW home in Amherst, MA but hadn't seen it before, until I came upon this site. Hope other's enjoy it if they haven't seen this before. artfuse.org/1302941/fuse-visual-arts-feature-visitng-the-only-frank-lloyd-wright-building-in-ma/

The Baird House is an excellent early "in-line Usonian." Its a slightly larger version of the Goetsch-Winckler House in Okemos, MI. I'm pleased to know it's in good hands.

The Baird House is an excellent early "in-line Usonian." Its a slightly larger version of the Goetsch-Winckler House in Okemos, MI. I'm pleased to know it's in good hands.

^Yes, very good news. (Sorry I couldn't post the actual link-I don't know how to do that) I doubt they offer tours, but I'd love to see the place if they did! ...I checked streetview on Google earth, but the house is not even visible from the street. That Artfuse piece "gets us inside", so that was even better. :) Very interesting read also. His quest for simplicity turned out to be anything but for the builders.

Back