Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

The T’s overcrowded and traffic sucks because everyone works from home.

The T would be able to handle its passengers if it wasn't for chronic underinvestment... The problem is not that people are choosing to use it.

And "Traffic sucks" is exactly why I'm disappointed when the proportions of these large mixed use developments end up leaning towards commercial development. I'd like to see new residential units being created 1 for 1 with each new job.

My previous point was that remote work might not have a noticeable impact on large cities but it has a major impact on small cities where the addition of 3000 new residents creates a housing crisis.

Guys, keep the T complaints to the regular transportation subform not this.

New Block 5B/Reebok renders

block-5b-rendering-2019-01-15-1_1_orig.jpg

frit-assemblyrow-hero-night-nobranding-web.jpg

2130khj-offices-at-assembly-row-street-view-noname-web.jpg

http://www.assemblyrowoffices.com/455-grand-union-blvd.html

If we’re rebooting TV series and movies, why not reboot recent facades?

Agreed, there is still room in front of the garage to the right of that one. Its good that theres some extra spaces like that so later some different styles can be mixed in vs it just being one single masterplan. Areas with buildings built at different time periods work much better when they address the needs of an area and bring growth.

I'm guessing that in 10 years Assembly will have MUCH more housing. Look for the Assembly Square shopping center lots to get redeveloped after Assembly Row's buildout is completed. All those parking lots are ripe for better use. The spots can be consolidated in a garage or two like those recently developed.

I feel about parking lots getting turned into housing the way some people feel about tall buildings; this is the transformation I'm most looking forward to for the next cycle.

I feel about parking lots getting turned into housing the way some people feel about tall buildings; this is the transformation I'm most looking forward to for the next cycle.

Wait, which way is that? This is Boston, it could go either way. :lol:

Thats the way I feel about parking garages being hidden behind condos. This is what I was referring to above, the garage on the right has room in front of it for townhouses/condos. Its also plenty wide enough when you compare it to the other condos around the garage. I really hope they throw up some housing right there eventually, no reason not to.

Last edited:
I would like to see the DCR give a hundred year lease for housing on the river side of the tracks, with proceeds used to better bridge the tracks themselves.

while the River side is technically open space it is almost never usable because of access problems.

Leasing a hundred foot deep strip all along the Orange Line tracks for development might technically reduce the amount of open space,
But would actually increase the amount of open space usage.

The effort could include more buildings rapping the parking or spanning the tracks

Back