Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Re: Assembly Square Redevelopment

I need my $4 plate of swedish meatballs....

any updates

Is there any news on Ikea's status or Assembly Square?

Construction should start later this year, but demolition has to happen first.

^How about the T stop?

The latest presentation has plans for the area near the T stop. In particular, there will be an actual square in Assembly Sq. How this will sit next to IKEA's big box remains to be seen.

justin

Those streets are way too wide but the massing is good. I hope this goes through.

Far more impressive than expected.

The Seaport could use a dose of this, undistinguished as it is.

Promising, though not much worked out here, except circulation, massing and IKEA store. The latter is standard suburbia, while the massing resembles Seaport, though it appears to be a bit pedestrian-friendlier. As usual, the transit is exiled to one edge, maximizing walking distance, and parking lots abound at the perimeter, hemming in expansion unless the existing shopping center is rethought with structure parking and additional uses. Nice that there's a street grid.

A valiant effort no worse than the Seaport, which it thereby shows up as unworthy of its much more important setting.

The link isn't working for me, can some post it or something?

A small land swap is about to happen here, where the state (DCR) gives up a parcel of land now used by Winter Hill Boat Club for boat storage, in return for the developer giving some land to DCR to widen the riverfront park. These maps incorporate the results of that land swap.

One large parcel not included in any plan is the abandoned former Loews Assembly Square movie theatre, and its large and mostly unused parking lot. I have no idea what plans that landowner may have.

Last edited:

Assembly Square developers outline potential traffic impact by Dan Murphy

Representatives for the Assembly Square development in Somerville appeared before the Charlestown Neighborhood Council last week to outline the project?s expected traffic impact, as well as several proposals to help remedy the situation.
?There is no getting around that this project will create a lot of traffic, and the way the roadways are today can?t handle the traffic,? said Patrick Dunford, a project manager for Watertown-based Vanasse Hangen Brustlin Inc. ?But we hope to keep the traffic on major roadways, so there is no spillover into the surrounding neighborhoods.?
Federal Realty Investment Trust of Rockville, Md., plans to convert a 50.2-acre site in Assembly Square into a mixed-use area that would include approximately 2,100 residential units, 1.7 million square feet of office space and more than 800,000 square feet of new retail space. Retail space would include a cinema, a 200-room hotel and a 340,000 square-foot IKEA home furnishings store. The project?s multiple phases are expected to take approximately 10 years to complete and cost more than $1.3 billion, according to project consultant Tom McShane.
To help reduce traffic, Dunford said the developer plans to reconfigure seven roadways and add new signals at these locations, including two additional signals on Lombardi Street.
Dunford also said that the signals would be linked together to help facilitate the traffic flow. ?Each signal essentially knows what the other is doing,? he said.
The developer had also struck a deal with the Massachusetts Highway Department, whereby existing signs would be modified to help direct commuters to Assembly Square.
?We?re still trying to get additional signage for IKEA,? Dunford said.
Another proposal to alleviate traffic in the area is the creation of a one-mile expansive roadway in the middle of the site to help absorb vehicles, Dunford said.
In addition, Dunford said he expects the traffic impact on Sullivan Square would be minimal, since most vehicles traveling southbound to the site would take exit 28 off of I-93. A thorough review of the arrival patterns indicated that 25 or fewer vehicles would travel to and from IKEA through Sullivan Square, compared with the 3,600 and 5,200 vehicles that already travel through Sullivan Square during those times, he said.
McShane said IKEA would provide free shuttle service to Assembly Square from the Sullivan Square or Wellington MBTA station until the new MBTA station at Assembly Square opens in 2013. The service would run on weekends and some weekdays, depending on demand, he said.
Meanwhile, Dunford said he expects the traffic study would be finalized later this month and, at that time, the developer would share its findings with the city to assist in the city and state?s Rutherford Avenue Corridor Study.

Link

Re. the Theater, I can't imagine that that guy isn't holding out until the project gets closer to reality and then will sell to Federal. He can't be dumb enough not to see the $$$$.

Assembly Sq.
asemblysq.jpg

I'd like to know what happened to the water tower. I hope that either Federal Realty or IKEA is storing it away to be re-erected later.

Meanwhile, Good Time Emporium is closing on June 30 to make way for IKEA construction.

I'd like to know what happened to the water tower. I hope that either Federal Realty or IKEA is storing it away to be re-erected later.

Meanwhile, Good Time Emporium is closing on June 30 to make way for IKEA construction.
Did'nt even know it was gone! And I,m there almost everyday! I,ll go asked our project manager what the status of the tower is?

It is stored away and will be reassemble with the Ikea logo!,I guess thats better than gone forever!

^ Great shot! Reminds me of a still from one of Sergio Huidor's beautiful videos for Galaxie 500.

Assembly Square Land Swap Discussion June 17

Mayor Joe Curtatone, Rep. Tim Toomey, Aldermen Walter Pero and Bill
Roche, and Senator Pat Jehlen invite you to a public meeting about the
proposed land swap at Assembly Square. The on-site meeting will be
Tuesday, June 17 at 6:30 on the DCR pathway across from Christmas Tree
Shops at Assembly Square. In case of inclement weather, a tent will be
provided.

Federal Realty Investment Trust will present development plans, and
the exchange of a parcel currently owned by the Department of
Conservation and Recreation for a slightly larger strip along the
river which FRIT will develop into DCR parkland. FRIT will also
discuss access to Draw 7 Park, and proposals for easements.
Legislation to accomplish the land swap is currently before the
legislature. Community members are invited to learn about the
process and plans for community investment and mitigation. There
will be a chance to ask questions and raise concerns.

Back