Assembly Square Infill and Small Developments | Somerville

Really interesting that they're including the Home Depot parcels here since I've never heard them on the table. A "barrow" orientation in the Home Depot spot would improve connectivity to the Broadway neighborhoods, even though it would be a tough sell to put a new residential neighborhood directly next to the poor air quality of the highway.
1606249208654.png

For flood risk mitigation, the "Assembly Green" gives the most space to continue raising shorelines, and gives a much nicer waterfront than the Big Box parking lot.
EDIT: @Equilibria see Alewife Vulnerability plan.

1606249189995.png

Attachments

• AR-180419538.jpg
    AR-180419538.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
For flood risk mitigation, the "Assembly Green" gives the most space to continue raising shorelines, and gives a much nicer waterfront than the Big Box parking lot.

I don't think that matters once you're past the dam, right?

Also, I believe they can include Home Depot because this is a zoning exercise. FRIT and the other property owners aren't obligated to build this on any time frame, but future development on their parcels would be strongly encouraged to conform to it.

The urbanism plans are so much better; it's interesting how the "green" plans demonstrate the interconnectedness of many of our development plans: meaningless green spaces that are poorly maintained and not used, superblocks, lack of fine-textured urbanism, master developers etc.

I like the Barrow plan just because it actually uses nicely scaled buildings that aren't superblocks.

Why haven't we seen the State "do a Volpe" here and go more vertical on the courthouse site? Or combine the Middlesex court (currently in Medford) with this building?

Why haven't we seen the State "do a Volpe" here and go more vertical on the courthouse site? Or combine the Middlesex court (currently in Medford) with this building?

I mean, they haven't been able to execute the "Volpe" maneuver on the Hurley site yet, or the Transportation Building site...

I agree with you that they should, though the court functions should stay at Assembly. Courts, of all things, should be equitably accessible, including by transit.

Back