Atlantic Wharf (née Russia Wharf) | Atlantic Ave | Waterfront

C

ChunkyMonkey

I heard that it's still a go except that the Intercontinental next door is fighting it tooth and nail since it will block quite a bit of its views. Here are a couple of pics from the CBT website.

RussiaWharf2.jpg

RussiaWharf1.jpg

Does "it's a go" mean that construction will actually start within a year?

If so, cool!

Over the couple months, I've slowly been falling in love with mid-rise skyscrapers buildings. I love tall skyscrapers, but these are the "backbone" of the skyline. It gives the city a more fullness.

I think its still in court, but I think it will get built since Equity Office is so rich and powerful. IMO it probably won't start until 2007 or 2008. The design may change to end the court battle.

I think its all set except the lawsuit from the Intercontinental

Russia Wharf has been condemned for some time now and all the tenants are moving out by the end of August when the leases are up. No idea when construction is slated to begin.

castevens said:
Over the couple months, I've slowly been falling in love with mid-rise skyscrapers buildings. I love tall skyscrapers, but these are the "backbone" of the skyline. It gives the city a more fullness.

I agree 100%. I hated this project intially, but It's actually become one my favorite/more interesting projects. It's a good change up to everything around it. It's glass, it's not particularly tall, and it's got some width to it as a whole. I think it will add a good dynamic to the waterfront.

The Story says nothing of the lawsuit, maybe that was resolved.

Mass. gives OK to plan to redevelop Russia Wharf
June 24, 2006

THE REGION
The state Department of Environmental Protection has approved Equity Office Properties' Russia Wharf redevelopment of three historic buildings, which will include about 65 residential units, a 31-story office building, and parking for 650 vehicles. About half an acre of the site, at Congress Street between the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway and the Fort Point Channel, will be for public use. The state's approval under waterways regulations clears the way for construction, an Equity Office spokeswoman said. Chicago-based Equity Office is contributing to renovation of the Congress Street bridge, will build and maintain a small dock, and will contribute $1.5 million toward promotion of water use and transportation and for a children's park on the other side of the channel. (Thomas C. Palmer Jr.)

So, any word on the design? Will they be able to stick to the original?

Cant say Im a very big fan of the last design. Does that electric substation on the roof meet Menino's criteria for non-flat tops on DT highrises? Pretty weak.

Here's a more detailed update from GlobeSt.com

UPDATE Last updated: June 26, 2006 03:57pm

Russia Wharf Project Passes Final Hurdle
By Marita Thomas

BOSTON-Massachusetts? Chapter 91 license has been granted to Chicago-based Equity Office Properties by the state Department of Environmental Protection for its redevelopment of Russia Wharf. This is the final hurdle for the long-planned project on land that contains three historic buildings at Front Point Channel.

EOP first submitted a redevelopment proposal for the site in 2002. Given the final go-ahead, the developer issued a statement calling this ?a great day for the project, for the city and for the residents of Boston.? An Equity Office spokesperson tells GlobeSt.com, ?there have been some changes to the original plan.? It called for a hotel. In July 2005, GlobeSt.com reported that the originally planned 300-room hotel had been scrapped in favor of a ?boutique? hotel. There is no hotel in the final plan.

Under the current plan, EOP will restore the Russia building at 530 Atlantic Avenue and ?is restoring significant historical elements of the other two buildings, Graphic Arts and Tufts,? which are at 270 and 286 Congress, respectively, the spokeswoman says. These three will be converted into 200 housing units and 31,000 sf of retail, civic and restaurant space. Above them, Equity will build a new 31-story office building with an aggregate of 500,000 sf. There will also be outdoor public areas, including one-third acre of open space.

The historic, seven-story buildings now aggregate 313,000 sf. They were built in 1899, renovated in 1980 and are currently leased to office tenants. In 2002, when GlobeSt.com initially reported on this plan, the cost was estimated at $275 million, and it rose to $300 million last July. An updated estimate of the final plan is not yet available from Equity.

Chicago-based Equity Office is contributing to renovation of the Congress Street bridge

This is pretty exciting. I thought the Coast Guard wanted the Congress St bridge torn down.

Northern Avenue Bridge, not Congress St bridge, which has been under renovation for quite some time now.

^^ That's what I get for posting before I'm fully awake. :oops:

It is hard to tell, but it looks like the tower has moved away from its litigious neighbor.

Did it lose the spire in a redesign? Without the corner spire, I'm much less happy with what I see.

Wait where's the rendering? All i can find are pictures of 500 Atlantic Ave. and Fan Pier

Sort of a contemporary, somewhat Minimalist Tech riff on Foster's '80s Hi-Tech Shanghai Bank in Hong Kong. When looked at in this context, that roof is a bit more tolerable I guess. Im still not crazy about it though. I do, however, like whats going where it juts out over the Peabody + Stearns building. Some pretty nifty stuff there. Judging by these latest renderings, Id say by far the most iintersting parts of this building are its lower portions. Here it reminds me of the Hearst Tower in NY... another Foster building. Somebody over at CBT must really like that guy.

Untitled-3-copy.jpg

Untitled-1-copy.jpg

Untitled-2-copy.jpg

Foster's Shanghai Bank:
cid_hksb_001.jpg

Hearst Tower:
url.jpg

Back