Attleboro Developments

Update on the old "old" high school in Attleboro going out to bid:
1705695108840.png

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/new...cle_123fbb65-fd70-5a58-8ca4-492d97b712da.html
I would consider this a win seeing as the 2 previous bid processes resulted in a bidder wanting the city to pay them for the property.

A big issue with the conversion of the old high school will be parking. There is little open surface space surrounding the building. The parking area in the rendering may be the only off street parking and it will require some demo of the former heating system space for the structure.

1705696600867.png

Couple new renders of the old HS project were shared
1706192857711.png

1706192880065.png

According to the plan there will be parking for 100 cars. The city council said they will vote to accept the bid at their next meeting in 2 weeks.

Where are they putting 100 parking spaces on that site? One rendering shows the removal of the heating plant with some 20 spaces off Prospect Street. The other rendering shows a lot on 5th Street with a single row of spaces that number around 15 by the looks of it. All the land surrounding the old high school is currently built out. Unless they are planning to purchase and tear down nearby buildings, i just do not see where there is room for surface lots. Is there an underground parking space not visible in the renderings?

1706197926906.png

There is a parking lot included with the sale, see highlighted area below, it's a short walk.
1706202309559.png

A further look indicates that a parking lot already exists in that site at Cora Street. It doesn't really make much sense in the context of the neighborhood today. I don't recall when the building was last used, but I would guess that it might have once been parking for it. These two properties may therefore be owned by the city and for sale as one.

Attleboro has done a nice job in its downtown. The area around the train station, one of the busiest in the MBTA Commuter Rail network outside Boston), has seen a lot of housing units added (in both conversions and new construction). The linear river walking trail that snakes through this area is also very nice.

Back