Bangor, Maine

Amazing photo!

This is basically the same view today. I never realized how much the Kenduskeag stream had been narrowed and channelized as part of Bangor's "urban renewal"

Just like Portland...so much interesting urban fabric wiped out...Thankfully despite that Bangor still has a really great and dynamic downtown that's second only to Portland in my opinion.

But look at all those surface parking lots. There's definitely room for lots of room to re-build that lost urban fabric with mixed-use developments.
1689465683256.png

I tend to agree with you Ben. Bangor as Maine's third largest city is more relevant than Lewiston due to it having a commercial airport, a regional mall, headquarters for Maine's second largest bank, a symphony orchestra, a modern mid rise tower, an interstate spur into downtown, a respectable arts scene and a modern indoor arena. However, I do get more of an urban feeling when I walk around downtown Lewiston than I do in Bangor and I think it's because of the length and density of Lisbon Street when compared to Main Street in Bangor. The massive stretch of mill buildings across from Canal Street are also impressive in a vintage New England kind of way. Waterville has the up and coming downtown along with Biddeford to a lessor extent.

Last edited:
One final video of Maine Savings Amphitheater from their YouTube channel....shows multiple day and night angles of the completed facility. They plan on adding rooftop premium seating for 2024 starting at $4000/seat....includes all concerts, private restrooms, in-seat service, designated entrance, etc.

Personally, I think that the big thing they need to consider for the future is a roof over most or all of the seating area.

It's amazing to see what started by having a jazz festival for a few years.

One final video of Maine Savings Amphitheater from their YouTube channel....shows multiple day and night angles of the completed facility. They plan on adding rooftop premium seating for 2024 starting at $4000/seat....includes all concerts, private restrooms, in-seat service, designated entrance, etc.

Personally, I think that the big thing they need to consider for the future is a roof over most or all of the seating area.

Nice. 15,000 capacity? If this area can handle that many and Portland is only two hours plus away from nearly 5,000,000 people, why not build something bigger in Portland? Too bad the new soccer stadium is not going to offer concerts like this one. There is a lot of revenue with concerts, and a quick stop for artist tours after TD Garden dates. The key is getting the food and drink and premium areas set up properly. The venue in Bangor knows how to do this--obviously. But then again, a Portland venue would have to be enclosed because someone nearby might complain of the noise.

Last edited:
Nice. 15,000 capacity? If this area can handle that many and Portland is only two hours plus away from nearly 5,000,000 people, why not build something bigger in Portland? Too bad the new soccer stadium is not going to offer concerts like this one. There is a lot of revenue with concerts, and a quick stop for artist tours after TD Garden dates. The key is getting the food and drink and premium areas set up properly. The venue in Bangor knows how to do this--obviously. But then again, it would have to be enclosed because someone nearby might complain of the noise.

Yeah you hit it on the head what makes this Bangor facility attractive (to artists, sponsors and patrons alike)....the food, drink and premium areas.....it's all about comfort and convenience in 2023 & beyond! It also makes this facility sustainable financially.....not only the capacity but also the amount of revenue it regenerates beyond the actual ticket sales. New England venues have really set themselves up to be prime summer concert tour stops....the problem for Portland is that they are between Guilford, NH and Bangor which now have become dominant on the summer tour scene for this market area.

Yeah you hit it on the head what makes this Bangor facility attractive (to artists, sponsors and patrons alike)....the food, drink and premium areas.....it's all about comfort and convenience in 2023 & beyond! It also makes this facility sustainable financially.....not only the capacity but also the amount of revenue it regenerates beyond the actual ticket sales. New England venues have really set themselves up to be prime summer concert tour stops....the problem for Portland is that they are between Guilford, NH and Bangor which now have become dominant on the summer tour scene for this market area.
Somewhat, yes. But the big acts can always squeeze in another date. Another big draw for them, and few ever think about this (but I do because I used to spend a lot of time around A-list celebs and performers), is design a KILLER green room, something higher up with a view (not in the bowels) with stunning furniture and design. No potato chips, cheap dips, packaged cookies, and canned soda offerings. Give them the PREMIUM assembly. You watch. After Bill Burr's stint next weekend, he will incorporate it into his next date, how lame Portland was. Louis C.K. did it. Others too. Give them something to rave about. I went to a show at the State Theatre in August. The place is beginning to smell--the old odor thing. It was good but is now not so good. And Thompson's Point has no seats. Portland needs concert help.

Last edited:

Back