Bartlett Yards | 2505-2565 Washington Street | Roxbury

I just hope those power poles come down along with the spider web of wires.

“We need gobs of new multistory housing to bring down prices and make the city more affordable.”

“Waughhh it looks like a HOLIDAY INN omfg”

“We need gobs of new multistory housing to bring down prices and make the city more affordable.”

Yeah, these complaints are only valid when the new units are being marketed as "luxury housing".

Being cheap on appearances is perfectly fine when the objective is to create affordable housing for middle to lower income people.

Sarcasm, right? It looks like a Holiday Inn Express made of cardboard.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .. Merely stating my take. Enjoy it in good health, no sweat off my back.

Did an architect actually get paid to design these facades? The grey one isn't even a real facade; it's just a blank wall with holes for windows. Why are residents who will be paying good money to live here, saddled with butt-ugliness?

Sarcasm, right? It looks like a Holiday Inn Express made of cardboard.

Lol what do you think bruh?

The ground level might end up OK so I can't disapprove of the project as a whole. Still, it's definitely going to make some "ugliest of Boston" lists over the next few decades.

Lol what do you think bruh?

The ground level might end up OK so I can't disapprove of the project as a whole. Still, it's definitely going to make some "ugliest of Boston" lists over the next few decades.
The families who will be living there could give a rat's @@@ what the Boston architectural critics think.

Why is that? Would you say this about a different project somewhere else?

Why is that? Would you say this about a different project somewhere else?

Because most people, especially low income tenants, want a safe comfortable place to live. Get out of your bubble! The world doesn't revolve around architectural fetishes.

Because most people, especially low income tenants, want a safe comfortable place to live. Get out of your bubble! The world doesn't revolve around architectural fetishes.

While normally I would agree with you, I think that’s reflective of a bias we both have... And which I was pointing out… That poor people don’t care about the architecture. I think we should be mindful of whether or not that’s true. Yes, it’s a luxury to sit around and decide whether a building is good design or not, but 1) that doesn’t mean people with less means don’t care how their buildings look and 2) if we make that assumption it just reinforces the likelihood that poor areas get shitty architecture.

Also, architecture is not simply a pursuit of wealthy elite to say oh look thats nice to look at! Architecture is something even the poor intimately interact with, and shitty architecture can have an impact on how this interaction occurs.

Otherwise, I think it is also naive to think that poor people simply desire the basics and nothing else. We all (used loosely) want to live in a world that is surrounded by beauty and that crosses all classes.

I'm really grateful that the site is being built out as dense integrated multi-unit buildings and not like the hokey multi-unit oversized suburban Frankenstein house-style townhouses like they've built down near Franklin Park.

^ The ones off American Legion HWY or the 8th/9th hole of GC? I could be wrong but I feel like those are projects or subsidized arent they?

Back